Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

RIPP Supercharger & Snorkel Testing Dyno Video

Old 04-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RIPP Supercharger & Snorkel Testing Dyno Video

Test 1 of 2 Supercharger and Snorkel. This test shows the HP and Trq lost when running a snorkel system on our RIPP supercharger for Jeep Wrangler JK's. There is over a 30 rear wheel HP loss and 30lbs of torque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=324QKrJnfOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xf5nuzHmBM In this test - we removed the Snorkel's external cover (Provided with the RIPP - AEV Snorkel installation kit) and see a slight gain in HP, but not flow. We then disconnect the Snorkel all together and run it open to show the power gains all in one video take so there's no games here.

RIPPTECH
Old 04-01-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thats a huge loss! Will this do added damage to the motor or turbo because its not letting it get the air flow it needs?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is what I would expect.

Imagine having to breath through a straw. Notice how hard it is to get a high volume of air into your lungs? That's just like a car breathing except a supercharger is trying to suck even MORE air and compress it.

Question:
Have you run dyno tests when a jeep is running at operating temp and the outside temp is 100 degrees? Is there a difference in performance between 100 degree outside temps and 60-70 degree outside temps? Does the intercooler make the differences in outside air irrelelvant? Just wondering.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
That is what I would expect.

Imagine having to breath through a straw. Notice how hard it is to get a high volume of air into your lungs? That's just like a car breathing except a supercharger is trying to suck even MORE air and compress it.

Question:
Have you run dyno tests when a jeep is running at operating temp and the outside temp is 100 degrees? Is there a difference in performance between 100 degree outside temps and 60-70 degree outside temps? Does the intercooler make the differences in outside air irrelelvant? Just wondering.
Yes - we monitor all temp sensors and tune accordingly - Our tunes have been 25 below Zero and through the 120+ temps in Dubai. They've also been at 10-15k feet in Colorado without issue.

The loss in power would be existential to the heat your driving through - One thing is for certain the tune will flip the fans on sooner if the air temps are too hot... and the timing and fuel will bend accordingly.

RIPPTECH
Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

I would think you would want to run some sort of an air filter. I agree that snorkel does cut down flow but I doubt it would be quite that dramatic if a non snorkel rig was run with a air filter attached like you would on the street. I understand that to hook an air filter up with one video take would have taken too long. When you compute the RWH number to HP at the flywheel you would see how really dramatic a difference it would have been. Thanks Ripp for at least showing real numbers on video.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by TexasTim
I would think you would want to run some sort of an air filter. I agree that snorkel does cut down flow but I doubt it would be quite that dramatic if a non snorkel rig was run with a air filter attached like you would on the street. I understand that to hook an air filter up with one video take would have taken too long. When you compute the RWH number to HP at the flywheel you would see how really dramatic a difference it would have been. Thanks Ripp for at least showing real numbers on video.
There's always an air filter installed TEST 2 shows the exposed air filter at the head of the snorkel. Our kit relocates the filter outside with a Cover which you can see on TEST one.

The JK demonstrates a 33.3% drive-train loss -
  • 233whp translates to 310 crank HP -
  • 211WHP translates to 281 crank HP -

RIPPTECH
Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

I stand corrected. You guys are the experts not me. Thanks for showing video guys.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch. I guess it doesn't kill a N/A JK's hp because it isn't demanding as much air flow?

Oh, bummer!

Last edited by EzK; 04-01-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Got learned.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by EzK
Ouch. I guess it doesn't kill a N/A JK's hp because it isn't demanding as much air flow?
Ohh it kills the NA too -
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Default Snorkels

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Ohh it kills the NA too -
That's not what all the self anointed pundits who have been lecturing on the benefits of a snorkel over a CAI have been saying for the last three years. Lots of speculation on hot air from engine vs cooler air from outside the bay - sounds like they may have nailed the hot air part.

Thanks for the information. Interesting!!

Wait, this isn't some sort of April Fool's kidding is it?

Quick Reply: RIPP Supercharger & Snorkel Testing Dyno Video