Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel System... Release date (June 2012)

Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaJK2012
Yeah my mudd spray goes right up the side with 13.5 wide tires and 3.0 inch backspacing
Almost straight up, and inside, towards the cowl, to the location of the low mount snorkel ???

Last edited by GJeep; 11-13-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody managed to find a way to mod the snorkel to work with a RIPP supercharger?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

35" tires (315/70/17) -- sticking out ~2" from the stock fenders.

Coverage pattern of the mud spray:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RESIZED - Mud spray from Tires 005.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	388529

As you can see, the "front" line of the spray goes up & backwards, at about 45 degrees, passing between the 'Wrangler' sticker and the lower door hinge.

Thick mud had about the same coverage.

Not even near the low mount location.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-14-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just add my 2cents... I have the low profile snorkel. I have had it installed for months now. I also have chopped factory fenders and tires that stick way past where they should and I live in Oregon where it rains 9 months a year. MUD MUD MUD

The mud does not spray anywhere near the intake. The rain doesn't seem to get in there either. (Not enough velocity) The only time I find water in the drain tube is after a touchless carwash.

As for performance gains, I can only tell you I didn't notice any loss of power.

Below is a pic, not really of the snorkel as much as it is to show how much my fenders dont shield the side of the jeep. But if you look hard you can see it

Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cold
I'll just add my 2cents... I have the low profile snorkel. I have had it installed for months now. I also have chopped factory fenders and tires that stick way past where they should and I live in Oregon where it rains 9 months a year. MUD MUD MUD

The mud does not spray anywhere near the intake. The rain doesn't seem to get in there either. (Not enough velocity) The only time I find water in the drain tube is after a touchless carwash.

As for performance gains, I can only tell you I didn't notice any loss of power.

Below is a pic, not really of the snorkel as much as it is to show how much my fenders dont shield the side of the jeep. But if you look hard you can see it

Thanks for the input.... One of the reasons the system took as long ( to get to market) was making sure things like this did not cause problems in the real world.
We did a little work to make sure that the intakes worked as intended.... Water - mud intrusion was top on the list. .... it is a snorkel
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

For those of us who have had issues with the bottom half of the air box (plastic straps breaking when putting metal clips on) are you goign to offer the redesigned lower box for sale as a nupgrade to the one we have. I check mine to be sure it stays tight, but I had issues with two of the metal clamps and the lower air box plastic being real soft when trying to get the clips on. They seem to hold but it doesn't have that feeling of being tight like the stock clips and box had. Even if it had to be purchased, if that part is upgraded it might be something I would buy to ease my mind.

The rest of the kit works great, and I think it is by far the best looking and best thought out snorkle on the market!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Former Vendor

We are looking to have two front clamps avalaible soon, if needed. These clamps will replace the two that I believe you are talking about... These clamps will be used for warranty claims. Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamps.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	388829
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rugged_Ridge
We are looking to have two front clamps avalaible soon, if needed. These clamps will replace the two that I believe you are talking about... These clamps will be used for warranty claims. Attachment 388829
Good deal! I have already had one of mine break. Also, are you making the lower tube flange on the air box longer? There just didn't seem to be a lot for the clamp to grab onto and I really had to seal it up to keep it on.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Former Vendor

The new box will have a longer tube but this is a rolling change.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

As I mentioned earlier, I hope to have mine installed after thanksgiving. Has anyone considered insulating (header tape) the chrome intake tube.??? It seems to me it would help deflecting heat from the exhaust manifold.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel System... Release date (June 2012)