Notices
Sponsoring Manufacturers/Vendors - Check out Cyber Monday Specials!! New products, special offers, coupons, discounts and giveaways from sponsoring manufacturers and vendors of aftermarket products for the Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X can be found on this forum

What would you like in a snorkel design?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compatible with (your) mirror relocation kits.

Last edited by HotFrosty; 07-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

I dont see how you could get away without cutting something.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryanc
I dont see how you could get away without cutting something.

All good suggestions and most have been worked out already. The light bar is the tuff part. If we tried to cover every light bar we would end up with one ugly extension so odds are it will be compatible with our relocation bracket, light bar, W/S light mounting brackets. This helps to move more of our products..

We are working on a design that has very little cutting and isolated to an area that is not visible. Tried to get away with no cutting but need the extra space for movement of air.
It will be a modular design that allows the customer to add the taller A-pillar extension if they want….

We have already built the most restrictive part of the design and tested it in the most scientific way.... A drag race...

4 out of 5 times it pulled away from the stock JK.., Could have been because i was driving

Keep the ideas coming, and thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HotFrosty
Compatible with (your) mirror relocation kits.
Second on this aspect! I actually returned a RR mirror reloction kit because I was thinking about getting a snorkel and this wasn't compatible.

Also, high airflow, ram head, $300-$350 price, compatible with major roof racks like Gobi.

Thanks for your consideration.

Micah
Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like others I am big on the non cutting aspect of the installation for a snorkel. If the price point was the same as others on the market and was as effecive in design and I did not have to cut into or cut away metal to accommodate it I would buy yours. If it went into the side of the fender and not the hood and came with a weather strip type seal to go over the metal and then the snorkel body could slip through that for a tight fit, that could be an idea also.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

I don't care about cutting into the hood, Hell I've already drilled and cut into it elsewhere on the Jeep so that doesn't bother me at all. Price I don't really care about that either as long as it's functional and performs the way it's designed that's all I really care about. The ONE MAJOR gripe that I have---Please for the love of God make it work with the damn MBRP light bar which it hopefully close to your's!!! I can't stand the fact that I'm ostrasized between choosing a light bar and a snorkel when I already have the Rack installed on the hard top. So abve anything else YOU GUY's make this work with that light bar and I'd gladly hand over whatever you're asking...because if not I'm going to have to have one fabbed up that works with the rac and can fit the AEV which would cost me a ton of money and I'd rather not go that way.. PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also want it to look like a humvee style shorty snorkel.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default snorkel ideas

I not sure if its possible but how about a set-up that incorporates my aftermarket cold air intake (AEM) or other makes.They all pretty much have the same design as far as plumbing,you'd only need to fabricate a box for the filter that would adapt to your snorkel design and the intake tube.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Spend a little more more and got for metal not plastic. A place to extend the breathers to. If you got to cut you've got to cut.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about having tubing come out of the engine bay and have the filter (maybe a long and slender cone, or short squat hemisphere) outside the engine bay? This would make a smoother air path through the system.

Dunno, just an idea.

I have an open element filter (customized AFE setup) and barring the idea above, I'm still thinking of a snorkel. I'd keep the filter element open, but put a dam between the filter and headlights. From my experience with other offroading vehicles, this would be good unless the front half of the hood was completely submerged; at which I'd have other issues.

Quick Reply: What would you like in a snorkel design?