Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 Auto? MUST READ-Trans line rub causes leaks!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lanslide
I don't think I want the dealership tearing into my Jeep to replace the lines for 6 hours when the problem can apparently be solved by me in 6 minutes with two small pieces of rubber hose to protect the lines and one zip tie to keep them in place. Am I missing something here?
My thoughts exactly.....the jeep was already on the lift getting other things done so I just had them do it....plus if anything goes wrong, liability is still on them but I really can't see the rubber hose (or hoses depending if you put them on both lines) failing. Just need to monitor it every other month or so.

Last edited by DJ1; 11-17-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chrysler issued a recall for this exact same problem on the 2012. I received it in the mail months ago, took it to a jeep dealer and they have the part to fix it on order, about a 4-6 week backorder. I've got a 2012 rubi unlimited.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a pic from under the driver side front fender... Am I looking in the right place to see any rubbing? Nothing appears to be rubbing, and there is tube around the hard lines where they could possibly touch.

Should I be looking somewhere else for any potential damage?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

It looks like Jeep already provides rubber sleeves to protect various metal lines from rubbing so why would they replace the whole transmission cooler line if they can just install some more rubber sleeves where needed?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Higgins14. That is the spot. I was not able to find any other potential contact points. I'm thinking I'm going to stick with this fix rather than having the dealership make an overkill repair.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeoDradis
Higgins14. That is the spot. I was not able to find any other potential contact points. I'm thinking I'm going to stick with this fix rather than having the dealership make an overkill repair.
Thanks! I feel pretty confident that u am all set for now...but I will get it fixed eventually. My local dealership doesn't offer a courtesy car when getting the service, so I have to wait for one of my vacation weeks our a Monday holiday. I was an idiot and forgot about an appointment to get it fixed on Columbus day. They couldn't get the part to fix it on veterans day. Hopefully they can do it around thanksgiving or Christmas break. I ama teacher, so I get off the usual vacation times. I really can't take sick days it personal days to get my jeep fixed. I don't want to be worried about transmission fluid leaking on something hot and starting a fire, especially if my 3yr old and 18 month old are strapped in their car seats.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I get it this recall fixed by the dealership, I'm gonna wait 'till I need something else fixed under warranty anyway (if that ever happens). Until then, I'm gonna stick with the do it yourself fix.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

If I get it this recall fixed by the dealership, I'm gonna wait 'till I need something else fixed under warranty anyway (if that ever happens). Until then, I'm gonna stick with the do it yourself fix.
Good call. I'm pretty comfortable that our home grown fix is sufficient or I would definitely take it in for the factory repair. They have ordered the parts for me, so, when they come in, I'm going to check out the replacement parts and decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I'll post what I find out.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I read somewhere on this forum that the power steering lines rub and wear under the air filter box against it. Is this part of the recall fix? If not, is this really a potential problem and recall too?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

I read somewhere on this forum that the power steering lines rub and wear under the air filter box against it. Is this part of the recall fix? If not, is this really a potential problem and recall too?
I did notice that the hose that runs from the PS fill reservoir to the PS pump runs along side the air cleaner box (best seen from under the jeep). It does contact the air box, but there is still slack. I will have to check this out more tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply: 2012 Auto? MUST READ-Trans line rub causes leaks!