Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2012 brake caliper bolts fell out! 8k miles!

Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 brake caliper bolts fell out! 8k miles!

On a road trip to beach week in Daytona and the drivers rear brake caliper bolts are both gone! Pulled over for gas and it didn't feel right leaving the pump, found the caliper rubbing on the wheel, carving out a nice chunk of aluminum. Zip tied the caliper on and limped to a jeep dealer that miraculously happened to be 1/2 mile away in the middle of nowhere. Of course they don't have the part in stock and will not consider taking the parts off a new jeep on the lot even though it will be 4 days until they can get the part and we obviously can't spend the weekend on their lot and miss the whole event in Daytona. Also will not allow me to test drive a vehicle to go to a hardware store to find suitable parts... This sucks! It seems to me that this is a Chrysler liability big time that could have been far worse and they could satisfy me in 10 minutes by taking the bolts off of a vehicle on the lot but I guess buying a $50k jeep doesn't get you any support or service. Any ideas of who to call to make this right??
Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

You bought a $50k Jeep?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf
You bought a $50k Jeep?
its a hemi.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Actually it's over $60k now, but it sure is pretty...
Old 04-27-2012, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no reason in the world they couldnt get parts quicker overnite or take parts off one on the lot i had a dealer remove a ws wiper motor off a brand new ram and put on mine before no big deal . ive also had motorcycle dealer do the same . that sux . call chrysler and tell them your predicament and also tell dealer your going to call
Old 04-27-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Of you are down for keep beach call one of the sponsor jeep dealerships and explain
Old 04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pilot650
On a road trip to beach week in Daytona and the drivers rear brake caliper bolts are both gone! Pulled over for gas and it didn't feel right leaving the pump, found the caliper rubbing on the wheel, carving out a nice chunk of aluminum. Zip tied the caliper on and limped to a jeep dealer that miraculously happened to be 1/2 mile away in the middle of nowhere. Of course they don't have the part in stock and will not consider taking the parts off a new jeep on the lot even though it will be 4 days until they can get the part and we obviously can't spend the weekend on their lot and miss the whole event in Daytona. Also will not allow me to test drive a vehicle to go to a hardware store to find suitable parts... This sucks! It seems to me that this is a Chrysler liability big time that could have been far worse and they could satisfy me in 10 minutes by taking the bolts off of a vehicle on the lot but I guess buying a $50k jeep doesn't get you any support or service. Any ideas of who to call to make this right??
That sucks man. I can't believe they will not let even use their courtesy vehicle to drive you to the store.

If you are still stuck there and haven't called a cab already...I'd start hanging around every person that comes in to look at buying a new jeep and then start talking into your phone, in a loud voice, about how your 4 month old jeep is falling apart and that you are lucky to be alive. The sales people will personally drive you to the store.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So with all the upgrades, are the rear brakes original equipment, or upgrades too? Your initial 3/36 warranty should cover this, plus a rental
Who was the last person to touch the caliper? Good luck !

Quick Reply: 2012 brake caliper bolts fell out! 8k miles!