Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 Rubicon MASSIVE coolant leak w/video

Old 05-29-2019, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Rubicon MASSIVE coolant leak w/video

Hey guys, first time poster. I own a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited, 10th anniversary. Second owner since 2014. 86k

So a couple months ago I sprung a coolant leak. Tracked it down to the water pump. I replaced the pump with a Mopar pump. Also replaced the thermostat while I was in there. Preventive maintenance and what not. Did the work myself as I usually do on my Jeep if I have the means to. Easy and simple, leak stopped. Water pump was def shot.

The other night was driving to a friend's house, looked down and the coolant temp was above normal...242°. Pulled over immediately, I carry coolant with me so I topped it off. Let it sit, I immediately drove it back to my home. It stayed within operating temp and I was only 2 miles from home. Now when I pulled it over to top it off and check it out, there was an absolute massive amount of coolant just pouring out from somewhere above the oil pan/transmission.

So today I topped it off while it was cold. Started it up and let it warm up to operating temperature while I was on the creeper waiting to see anything. There was no leaking until the vehicle reached operating temperature and then when it started leaking, it was like a waterfall. The leaking is coming somewhere from the back of the engine, above the oil pan and transmission. I was unable to see where it was coming from.

Some other things to know, my heat went out in the Jeep a few weeks ago, I have no heat across the entire dash. During this test I felt the intake and outtake pipes for the heater core, both in the cabin behind the glove box, and in the engine bay. Both were completely cold. There is no smell of coolant in the cabin, and no visible leaks from the core itself. Where the heater core piping goes through the firewall in the engine bay is completely dry. Wherever the leak is coming from it somewhere farther down where it is not visible from the top of the engine bay. Yet it is also far enough up that is not visible from beneath the vehicle.

Freeze plug? A gasket? Where should I look?

Video here on youtube.

Picture and videos attached.

Last edited by Justin Marohnic; 05-29-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Trying to add video
Old 05-29-2019, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

the 3.6L has a oil filter cooler housing that sits under the oil filter and between the galley of the engine. it is a part that commonly breaks on 2013-2014 jk's. look down beneath your oil filter housing and see if the galley is filled with oil and coolant.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
the 3.6L has a oil filter cooler housing that sits under the oil filter and between the galley of the engine. it is a part that commonly breaks on 2013-2014 jk's. look down beneath your oil filter housing and see if the galley is filled with oil and coolant.
I assume this confirms your assessment?

Old 05-29-2019, 04:06 PM
JK Jedi

I would say it is a pretty darn good guess and chance that is the issue. Most dealers honor that fix on the 5/100,000 drive train warranty. some say no but most have been good about it. Mine fixed mine under the 5/10000 altho chances are your 5 years is up.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Man, that sux. Considering the age and being 2nd owner, guessing also that is not covered under any sort of warranty. One thing to consider if you pull that apart by yourself or pay someone to do it, the oil pressure sensor is right there as well, and is another very common issue. I've seen a couple friends with '14/'15s have to replace that with only 40-70k miles on the clock, and it takes good several hours of labor to break things down, swap the sensor, and button things back up. If you have it broken down already, you might consider popping new $20 sensor in while you're there. One of those things that sux to do when the original hasn't failed.....but peace of mind.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi

and do plugs at the same time.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Man, that sux. Considering the age and being 2nd owner, guessing also that is not covered under any sort of warranty. One thing to consider if you pull that apart by yourself or pay someone to do it, the oil pressure sensor is right there as well, and is another very common issue. I've seen a couple friends with '14/'15s have to replace that with only 40-70k miles on the clock, and it takes good several hours of labor to break things down, swap the sensor, and button things back up. If you have it broken down already, you might consider popping new $20 sensor in while you're there. One of those things that sux to do when the original hasn't failed.....but peace of mind.

Nope, no warranty. First owner didn't spring for the better warranty. It's all good. And thank you, I'm def going to do that sensor at the same time now!

Originally Posted by jadmt
and do plugs at the same time.
Already planning on it! Thank you!

On another note, there's a great Jeep specialty shop here in Huntington Beach that's independently-owned. Jeep Care center. I'm going to have the most revised oil cooler put in, galley cleaned out, spark plugs done, heater core flushed and/or heater blend door actuator replaced and that oil sensor done all for 1200 ish. I drop it off next week.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

That's a lot of jack. Your heat issue is almost certainly due to this leak and air in the system. Can buy a brand new oil cooler (with sensors) for under $140. $60 for new plugs and maybe a few bucks for some random gaskets for the plenum. Unless you sense your blend door needs replacing, not sure why mess with it. Also don't think the heater core needs to be flushed. Again, any air leak in the system is going to jack around with the heater core. If it were me, I'd replace the oil cooler and plugs, then fill and bleed the cooling system. $1200 seems excessive.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
That's a lot of jack. Your heat issue is almost certainly due to this leak and air in the system. Can buy a brand new oil cooler (with sensors) for under $140. $60 for new plugs and maybe a few bucks for some random gaskets for the plenum. Unless you sense your blend door needs replacing, not sure why mess with it. Also don't think the heater core needs to be flushed. Again, any air leak in the system is going to jack around with the heater core. If it were me, I'd replace the oil cooler and plugs, then fill and bleed the cooling system. $1200 seems excessive.
Little more back story. Well before the water pump leak/failure I had been fighting the cold on the drivers side and blazing hot on the passenger side. After the water pump replacement and coolant flush / burping the system, still was fighting it. And before this suspected oil cooler leak, the system was completely burped, no water/air noise in the cabin, all heat was lost one day, well before any leak started. Another note, when the water pump started to go and I hadn't noticed it yet, yes, I lost heat across the dash due to low coolant. But once I topped it back off and burped it, the heat came back to just the passenger side. I'm fairly confident there is more going on with the jeep than just low coolant and/or air in the system when it comes to the heater function at this point. But we will find out with a diagnoses before any work begins.

Yeah, it's a bit of change, but I just honestly would like an experienced mechanic to take a look at all of this at the same time. While I can do almost anything on a vehicle within my means, there just comes a time when you just don't want to trouble shoot 5 things at once. I am kinda throwing the towel in on this one and having it all checked out by a reputable jeep specialty shop. The quote for the updated mopar oil cooler replacement with labor was 1100. He's doing every thing else while he is in there for another 100ish, IF needed. Blend door actuator might just need a calibration for all we know at this point. May need to replace it and I already have the part from two years ago when I was having heat issues. That turned out I just needed to unplug and replug the harness on the back of the HVAC controls 2 years ago after the dealership tried to tell me i needed a new actuator for the blend door and it would cost some ungodly amount because they "had to take the whole dash out"....yeah right, lol. Heater core may or may not be clogged with casting sand, we will find out.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Hear ya. Just throwing idea out there. Getting to the oil cooler is no fun task, but it's not the end of the world. Messing with blend doors is never fun......on any vehicle. I have one on my daughter's car that I keep conveniently forgetting about.

Quick Reply: 2013 Rubicon MASSIVE coolant leak w/video