Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 JKU starts then dies

Old 02-13-2018, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 JKU starts then dies

i have a 2015 JKU with 19,000 miles and am experiencing the following problem: when I turn off the engine after it has reached operating temperature, let it cool down for a couple of hours and then try to restart it, the engine will instantly catch at a low rpm and then stall. It will restart after cranking for about 10 seconds, idle up sharply and then run fine. The problem never occurs on cold starts, and it doesn't occur when the vehicle is re-started immediately after it is shut off. The dealer says that there are no stored codes. I have already cleaned the throttle body. Any idea what is wrong?
Old 02-15-2018, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

has anyone experienced the same problem?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chevyfan
i have a 2015 JKU with 19,000 miles and am experiencing the following problem: when I turn off the engine after it has reached operating temperature, let it cool down for a couple of hours and then try to restart it, the engine will instantly catch at a low rpm and then stall. It will restart after cranking for about 10 seconds, idle up sharply and then run fine. The problem never occurs on cold starts, and it doesn't occur when the vehicle is re-started immediately after it is shut off. The dealer says that there are no stored codes. I have already cleaned the throttle body. Any idea what is wrong?
Is your jeep lifted at all? If so do you have a tunner for the tire size if so check the codes on it and see if that helps you
Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This happened to me once. It was about -25C, I cold started and went to the grocery store. When I came out it started fine but sputtered out very shortly afterward. I waited a few seconds then cranked it, but it didn't start. I waited another few seconds then cranked the engine for about 30 seconds. It didn't start. So I left the key in the on position for about 30 more seconds and it started right away.

I just assumed because it was so cold I either had an air lock in the fuel line or it was bad gas. I had a similar incident in an older car as well where I was stuck at a traffic light trying to start. If it is repeatable it is possible it is a bad fuel pump, but it very well could be just some bad gas.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

This sounds like an odd behavior, and can't say I've run across anyone talking about a similar situation. It's definitely not "Canada" cold down here, so I'm guessing not temp sensitive?? It seems mainly like a fuel related issue (line, injector, filter, pump....moreso than gas itself), or throttle related. Odd that it doesn't happen on cold starts though.

Originally Posted by Taylor520Tucson
Is your jeep lifted at all? If so do you have a tunner for the tire size if so check the codes on it and see if that helps you
OP already stated dealer advised no codes present/stored. Tuner isn't going to magically pull some code the dealer can't find.....and, if a code was thrown after the time the dealer scanned it, the CEL would be lit.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

This might be a real stretch......but this is one interesting thing to scratch off the list possibly.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...stalls-272572/

Seems like that would include cold starts as well, but still......worth noting.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

I tried both keys to see if it was linked to the anti-theft module, but that didn't solve the problem. I also tried disconnecting the battery to reset the system. Outdoor temperature doesn't seem to matter--it has the same problem in sub 30 degree and 80 degree weather. I'm going to take it back to the dealer next week along with a video and will talk to the shop foremen.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Curious to hear what they say, so please post a followup if/when you know.

Quick Reply: 2015 JKU starts then dies