Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2wd question?????

Old 05-30-2007, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd question?????

I know this is probably covered somewhere on this fourm just not sure where to look. I have a 4x2 (I know its not a cool as the 4x4) and I am wanting to do a little off roading. I have read some threads on here about unlocking the trac bar or something to that affect before goin off the beaten path. Can anyone help and let me know so i don't tear anything up. thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can unhook your sway bar. You would actually have to unbolt the end links unless you get some quick disconnects for it. I'm not sure it is that great an idea though. It may allow you to get into stuff you can't get out of with 2wd.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

my old cj7 yrs ago i very seldom had to put it into 4wd im going to assume the same with the jk until proven otherwise
Old 05-30-2007, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you plan of taking it offroad more than once, get some disconnects for the swaybar. If you have a LSD or locker out back, it will do pretty good, but you DO have to be careful.

If you plan of going out somewhat often, get a winch.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the runs I have done have been done in about 95% 2 wheel drive. ( I think WOL gets tired of me telling him "I'm stil in 2wd")In most of the cases I switched into 4wd I could of done half of those in 2wd with a little work. The rest I needed 4wd for sure! You'll be plesently amazed at what you'll be ablt to do in 2wd. Get a lift and some meats and you'll be REALLY amazed. Now with that said.........WTF were you thinking!!!?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnecting your swaybar will give you more traction and better articulation. Here is a how-to:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/manual-swaybar-disconnect-non-rubicon-models-6167/
Old 05-30-2007, 11:00 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah i plan on doing some stuff to it Like a lift. And I DON"T know why i didn't get the 4wd. I guess i was to excited about getting one in the first place. Dealer didn't have a 4wd on the lot would have to have orederd one. Just couldn't wait I guess. oh well i got to play with what i got right?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Offroad driving is more about the driver than the machine. I know guys that can go places in a stock 2wd others can't go in a modified 4X4. That said 4wd is the way to go if you offroad any at all. The reason I say this is I like riding rather than winching, towing or whatever else I have to do to get my rig out of something I got into however if you have and use 4wd sometimes it gets you into worse situations. I don't crawl, or mud hard so I keep mine in 2wd or 4wdH 99.9% of the time. I use 4wdL to get out of stuff I might have been better staying away from in the first place.
Before you go disconnecting anything or adding anything take your jeep offroad with a friend (or two) to pull you out and get a feel for what it will and will not do. Don't hit it hard because you don't have all the protective mods or 4wd but do things you would normally and see where you get stuck. This is good advice for all new jeep (or other offroad vehicle) owners. Before you perform any mods at all see what it does stock (unless of course you have experience and know you want to build it for one thing).
Old 05-31-2007, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Listen to the people here.
I very seldom put it in 4h.
Get recovery points front and rear, if you don't already have them. Get a couple of good quality straps (no metal hooks) read this:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-access...ear-essentials
Go with some people with other vehicles and have some fun. If you encounter something that you wanted to do but couldn't because your Jeep didn't have _____, then add it if you can. ie: skids, bumpers, winch, lift, tries, etc...
You will be amazed at what a stock Jeep can do, even the 4x2 models.

The biggest piece of advise is do your research and make the purchase once. Don't jump the gun and buy something you will need to replace in 6 months. well unless you have some unending disposible income, then you can send some to me.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

2wd jeeps are awesome too! You should really consider getting a winch though, it will help you in the times where you have troubles! Here is my best friends first jeep 2wd cherokee:

Quick Reply: 2wd question?????