Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.8 lifter tick

Old 11-16-2014, 02:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8 lifter tick

My 3.8 with 166k kms has a pretty loud tick, only when it's warm. I've tried the Chrysler additive. Sea foam. Engine flush. ATF fluid. Thicker oil. I'm going to need to swap out a lifter, or all of them. Which I assume means the cam too. Unless anyone has any tricks left to try and fix this.

The book says about 10 hours. I'm thinking of doing it myself. Anything I should look out for? Are aftermarket cams and lifters better or worse? Or should I go with oem?

And I guess I should change all the lifters while it's open.

I've never dug this far into my jeep engine before so I want to make sure I have everything covered.

Some people say just live with the tick, but it's at the point where it turns heads and that can't be good.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had a ticking noise in the past, come to find out the drivers side header is prone to cracking which caused the ticking noise. May not be as easy as that for you but thought it was worth mentioning. Good luck with the fix....
Old 11-16-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know the feeling. Ticks, pings, rattles, etc. the 3.8 definitely tests your nerves. I wait for the worst every drive. Ha. Dealing with the noises until they stop. Too much to troubleshoot.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default aftermark cam and lifters

I just replace the cam and lifters, since my lifters were very noisy. I replace with a 505 performance camshaft kit, which include lifters, time sprockets and chain.

Results:.

the noise of the lifters become worst, so i decided to open the engine again and install back the OEM lifters with the aftermarket camshaft. It has been a week and i still heard the lifters noise even with the OEM lifters that were not too noisy before the aftermarket camshaft.

I didn't see any difference with the aftermarket camshaft in terms of power, i need to go to the dyno and see if i have gain torque or power.

lester
Old 03-29-2017, 09:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by crazymike
My 3.8 with 166k kms has a pretty loud tick, only when it's warm. I've tried the Chrysler additive. Sea foam. Engine flush. ATF fluid. Thicker oil. I'm going to need to swap out a lifter, or all of them. Which I assume means the cam too. Unless anyone has any tricks left to try and fix this.

The book says about 10 hours. I'm thinking of doing it myself. Anything I should look out for? Are aftermarket cams and lifters better or worse? Or should I go with oem?

I've never dug this far into my jeep engine before so I want to make sure I have everything covered.

Some people say just live with the tick, but it's at the point where it turns heads and that can't be good.
Make sure it's the lifters you hear. To remove the lifters and cam, the entire top of the engine, (including the heads), the front cover, radiator, A/C condenser, etc, etc, all have to come apart.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lester
I just replace the cam and lifters, since my lifters were very noisy. I replace with a 505 performance camshaft kit, which include lifters, time sprockets and chain.

Results:.

the noise of the lifters become worst, so i decided to open the engine again and install back the OEM lifters with the aftermarket camshaft. It has been a week and i still heard the lifters noise even with the OEM lifters that were not too noisy before the aftermarket camshaft.

I didn't see any difference with the aftermarket camshaft in terms of power, i need to go to the dyno and see if i have gain torque or power.

lester
Hi friends, today i went to the dyno, a professional tuned my jeep, for the aftermarket cam with the same turner that came with the Ripp headers.

Here my results in the dyno:.

1-) MSRBP exhaust, K&N filter (factory box), limewire cables, iridium sparks, aluminum mishimoto radiator, (no cataylics converters) ---> 133 RWHP
2-) Adding the Ripp headers without tunning --> 138 RWHP
3-) Adding Ripp with tune----> 148.5 RWHP
4-) Adding 505 performace camshaft -----> 164.5 RWHP
5-) Modifiying parameters to the exiting tune with the diablo Sport -----> 172.5 RWHP.

SO yes, it works, but the fuel economy has dropped a lot. i'm having now 11mpg to 14 mpg.

Lester.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Have you checked to see if the loud tick is a cracked exhaust manifold?
Old 05-21-2019, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Did you keep any of the 505 kit? I’m thinking of pulling my 505 lifters and cam due to the noise.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

hi how did you make out with the tick I have the same problem

Quick Reply: 3.8 lifter tick