Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

6 Speed Owners!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was all the time.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Many 2007 and early 2008 models had problems with the clutch master cylinder
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default sorry - I know this is a 5 month resurrection

Sorry guys I know this thread is 5 months old, but as one of the very very few threads on clutch issues I wanted to see if any of you had some input on my clutch issue!

My thread is here -
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Clutch-Issues

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just replaced the slave yesterday. I was fed up with the creaky clutch pedal, which has been going on for at least 2 years, maybe longer I don't remember. I had the clutch replaced over the winter with a centerforce because it was engaging a little rough. It ended up just being a crispy throwout bearing, but it didn't do anything for this problem.

Anyway, the slave install went very smooth, and I had no problems at all. When I took the old slave off, it was missing the black plastic cap at the end of the arm, which the boot clasps on to, which creates a seal inside. I first thought it popped off inside the tranny, but I inspected with a pair of needle nose, and it was nowhere to be found. I was very surprised, but it made sense as to why the slave was so creaky i guess.

I put the new slave in, bled the clutch just like smokeman and stooge suggested on page 1, and it was golden. The clutch engages sooner now as you release the pedal, and I suspect it's because the arm is now about a half inch or more longer than the old one, due to the plastic cap at the end of the boot. This baby shifts so damn smooth now it aint funny. I've always complained that I didn't know why the JK transitioned so poorly from gear to gear, as I've owned a YJ and a TJ that were smooth as silk. I always blamed the electronic throttle because it was the single biggest variable that the YJ and TJ didn't have, but I never did know for sure, and it bugged the hell out of me.

To sum it all up, I've put about 60 miles on the new slave, let it get good and hot, and no creaking whatsoever. She's shifting smoother than ever before, including the day I brought her home. I couldn't be happier. Best 80 bucks I've put into this thing, no doubt.

Last edited by CAM24; 04-23-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CAM24
To sum it all up, I've put about 60 miles on the new slave, let it get good and hot, and no creaking whatsoever. She's shifting smoother than ever before, including the day I brought her home. I couldn't be happier. Best 80 bucks I've put into this thing, no doubt.
I JUST picked up my JK (as in an hour ago) from the dealer because I took it in for the creaky clutch. They diagnosed it as the slave cylinder and I had it replaced under my extended warranty. The best part is that this fixed the creaking AND it fixed the vibration under the inner shift boot that would get louder as the engine was under load. Like you mention, the shifting is so much smoother.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAM24
Just replaced the slave yesterday. I was fed up with the creaky clutch pedal, which has been going on for at least 2 years, maybe longer I don't remember. I had the clutch replaced over the winter with a centerforce because it was engaging a little rough. It ended up just being a crispy throwout bearing, but it didn't do anything for this problem.

Anyway, the slave install went very smooth, and I had no problems at all. When I took the old slave off, it was missing the black plastic cap at the end of the arm, which the boot clasps on to, which creates a seal inside. I first thought it popped off inside the tranny, but I inspected with a pair of needle nose, and it was nowhere to be found. I was very surprised, but it made sense as to why the slave was so creaky i guess.

I put the new slave in, bled the clutch just like smokeman and stooge suggested on page 1, and it was golden. The clutch engages sooner now as you release the pedal, and I suspect it's because the arm is now about a half inch or more longer than the old one, due to the plastic cap at the end of the boot. This baby shifts so damn smooth now it aint funny. I've always complained that I didn't know why the JK transitioned so poorly from gear to gear, as I've owned a YJ and a TJ that were smooth as silk. I always blamed the electronic throttle because it was the single biggest variable that the YJ and TJ didn't have, but I never did know for sure, and it bugged the hell out of me.

Where did you pick up the slave cylinder? Also does the centerforce come with a new throwout bearing?

Last edited by Black 08 X; 04-23-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the slave at the dealership for 80 bucks even. The Centerforce did not come with a new Throwout bearing. They apparently don't make one for the JK (yet?). I just had my mechanic source a stock replacement when he did the install.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone have the part # for the slave cylinder??
Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know this thread is old.. but the nipple o-ring type thing is missing from slave cylinder line.. does anyone know if we have to order the slave cylinder line? or can we get that o-ring?

thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHREKICON
I know this thread is old.. but the nipple o-ring type thing is missing from slave cylinder line.. does anyone know if we have to order the slave cylinder line? or can we get that o-ring?

thanks
U can get o rings from parts stores or online. U just need the correct size.

Quick Reply: 6 Speed Owners!