Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

730N RHR Keeps Losing Home Address

Old 08-25-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 730N RHR Keeps Losing Home Address

I thought I remembered seeing a question on this a few weeks ago, but searching doesn't seem to find it.

Anyway, my 730N RHR MyGig frequently loses it's "home" address (the "Take me home" button suddenly becomes grayed out). I've reset it twice already, and I went to use it the other night and it was grayed out again.

The Favorite Places, however, aren't disappearing. I was considering just saving my home address there so I could actually use it without pulling over to re-enter it.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any solutions besides complain to the dealer?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never mind -- I found a solution to the problem.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

What was your solution? Mine drops off too.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes, share the solution with us...
Old 08-27-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Off topic comment...........you should NEVER program the " home " location on your on board GPS or your portable. If your car gets stolen they also know where you live.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
Off topic comment...........you should NEVER program the " home " location on your on board GPS or your portable. If your car gets stolen they also know where you live.
Or they could just get it from the registration or insurance card that the government requires me to carry in the vehicle. Because few people carry that stuff in their wallet or purse. Just sayin'. And if your wallet or purse gets stolen and you carry it there, they know where you live and also have your license and credit cards.

And if you're registered to vote, they know where you live because that's public record (at least in my state it is).

Telemarketers and the government have so much of my information that just about anybody knows where I live if they really wanted to look for it.

What they DON"T know, though, because it's not written down anywhere, is the code to my security system. And then there's the dog.

But give me credit for not being that dumb -- I program the address of my local township building, which is about 1/4 mile down the road and houses the police station.

Last edited by Gort; 08-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Etars
What was your solution? Mine drops off too.
Originally Posted by jwilson2598
Yes, share the solution with us...
Firmware update.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Already firmware update available? Can this be done by downloading some DVD or I have to take it to dealer?
Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m4vrick
Already firmware update available? Can this be done by downloading some DVD or I have to take it to dealer?
Thanks
There have actually been three, I think, with another on the way (much to my surprise, because I have a very late 2012 and I'm already two versions old). Depending on when you purchased your vehicle, you may have one or two of them already applied. One (2.120 version) was supposedly pulled because it caused more problems than it solved -- or so I've read -- but some people claim that it fixed the disappearing home address problem, while others still report issues.

There's a newer version, 2.169, with an even NEWER version rumored to be on the way in September sometime. As far as I can tell, 2.169 is the most current released version of the firmware.

You should be able to get the firmware update from your dealer. You could also google "RHR firmware update" (assuming you have the RHR, too) and revel in the information overload presented to you. There are some sites dedicated to MyGigs that have very active forums with lots of information and good reading.

I'm just going to go to the dealer and ask them to apply the update to address the problem. Besides, they have free coffee (which is actually pretty good) as well as table or two that I can get some work done at while I'm waiting.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks.... my 2012 is an early build. They replaced the RHR once already for a bunch of issues that the update didnt fix. Since the new unit the only issues I have is the home address dropping and a couple times I would be driving at midnight the clock would stop at 12:00 till I turn the Jeep off and back on. I'll wait till the next update is out to see if that helps.

Quick Reply: 730N RHR Keeps Losing Home Address