Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

730N RHR Keeps Losing Home Address

Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gort
Or they could just get it from the registration or insurance card that the government requires me to carry in the vehicle. Because few people carry that stuff in their wallet or purse. Just sayin'. And if your wallet or purse gets stolen and you carry it there, they know where you live and also have your license and credit cards.

And if you're registered to vote, they know where you live because that's public record (at least in my state it is).

Telemarketers and the government have so much of my information that just about anybody knows where I live if they really wanted to look for it.

What they DON"T know, though, because it's not written down anywhere, is the code to my security system. And then there's the dog.

But give me credit for not being that dumb -- I program the address of my local township building, which is about 1/4 mile down the road and houses the police station.
My registration and insurance info is hidden, a crook would never find it.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
My registration and insurance info is hidden, a crook would never find it.
Sounds like you're a bit more paranoid than I am -- not to say that I don't consider certain events, it's just that I weigh the likelihood of an event transpiring versus the cost and effort of doing something to prevent it. I have a finite amount of time during any day. Most of that time goes toward working to make money and spending time with my family. Anything that takes away from that had better be damned important.

In the areas that I live in and frequent, the odds of my vehicle being stolen are very low. To worry daily about squirreling away in a secret compartment anything with my name or address on it and then try to remember where I put it is just a solution looking for a problem. Even if the vehicle is broken into, odds are they're after the radio or something else of value (iPod/Change/something in the back seat/whatever).

Using the argument that if your car is in location A and your home is in location B then the crooks know you're not there and will want to break into your house is, at least in my opinion, a bit excessive in expected outcome.

The vast majority of two-parent households in the US have both parents working, so nobody is going to be home. Singles or single parents likewise. They'd have better odds of finding nobody at home, and with less effort, by just driving around and picking a house at random to break into than to break into my vehicle, manage to get the vehicle started without the proper code-key, think to use my NAV system to drive to an address that isn't actually my house, and break in because they just think that nobody will be there.

Sorry, but in my opinion, that's just way too much effort and worry for an eventuality that has a very low probability of occurring.

Edit -- And as an aside, we have a legislator here in PA that's proposing to make it a crime to create/add any "secret compartment" in any vehicle. Hopefully this will die in committee like most other bills of this nature do -- but this illustrates the attitude that we have to deal with here. Point being that the people that want to hide their personal stuff for security reasons (real or perceived) are apparently viewed as potential criminals by the political class. Makes me want to go down to the garage and create as may "secret compartments" as I can in the Rubi.

Last edited by Gort; 08-28-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default September Software Release

I called UCONNECT yesterday on the Home Address loss. I have that problem also. They told me that they would keep the problem open so I would be advised when the new software is available (sometime in Sept). They said one of the issues it addresses is this one. Do not know what other issuer there are. It is interesting that they could not tell me what the current release is. Mine is 2.116, April 12 build but who knows when the radio was assembled. Anyway supposed release this coming month.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I my buddy had a problem similar to your sescription, he replaced his factory battery with a new gel yellow top, and didnt have any more problems with his radio, no real knowledge as to why it fixed it, but worth a try.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interestingly enough, the last time I lost it (which was what prompted me to start the thread) I never entered a home address again. This afternoon I was messing around with the radio while waiting for my wife and the "guide me home" button was miraculously re-enabled again.

There's a ghost in the machine, apparently.

I'm also at 2.116 -- haven't applied the firmware update yet. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hal9000
I called UCONNECT yesterday on the Home Address loss. I have that problem also. They told me that they would keep the problem open so I would be advised when the new software is available (sometime in Sept). They said one of the issues it addresses is this one. Do not know what other issuer there are. It is interesting that they could not tell me what the current release is. Mine is 2.116, April 12 build but who knows when the radio was assembled. Anyway supposed release this coming month.
Please kindly keep us in the loop if you hear about a newer firmware update.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default New release

I will post as soon as I find out from UCONNECT. I have a hunch I will have to rattle their cages but I will keep on top of it. Will let U know!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default Just checked on Update

I just got off phone with Uconnect and the update has been pushed out to October. They are still on the case so with a problem this small, it is not a problem to me. They are also probably incorporating as many fixes as possible in this release. My trouble ticket is still open so they will call me as soon as a fix is available. Will let U know!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default CD is available

The update CD for the Home Address and 25 other fixes is now available. I received a call from Uconnect. The CD is already in the mail but should also be at the dealerships so you can just have them do it. Check with your local dealer. You can also call Uconnect and get the CD from them directly. I have not received mine as yet but will post after the update. Hope I don't make matters worse
Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hal9000
The update CD for the Home Address and 25 other fixes is now available. I received a call from Uconnect. The CD is already in the mail but should also be at the dealerships so you can just have them do it. Check with your local dealer. You can also call Uconnect and get the CD from them directly. I have not received mine as yet but will post after the update. Hope I don't make matters worse
Thanks. I never did make it to the dealer to have it done, so I'll give UConnect a call and get them to mail me a disc.

Quick Reply: 730N RHR Keeps Losing Home Address