Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

adding power door locks (oem latches, oem wiring, viper 5701 alarm with remote start)

Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding power door locks (oem latches, oem wiring, viper 5701 alarm with remote start)

I just bought a 2012 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport without power windows and door locks. I could not understand why power windows and door locks were over $2,000. For anyone in my situation that did not purchase power windows and door locks, I am about to start an install of power door locks with oem latches ($155), oem wiring ($185) and an aftermarket viper 5701 alarm system with remote start.

PART NUMBERS:

LATCHES:
4589505AG DRIVER FRONT
4589276AI PASSENGER FRONT
4589023AI DRIVER REAR
4589048AI PASSENGER REAR
4589048AI TAIL GATE

WIRING:
68066013AD DRIVER FRONT
68066012AD PASSENGER FRONT
68066033AB DRIVER REAR
68066032AB PASSENGER REAR
TAIL GATE IS A BODY WIRING HARNESS
Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

nice start... let us know how it goes.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought a 12 as well, would love to work out some power locks and maybe even the remote start (if its possible on a manual - IDK?). Thanks for the idea!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have power everything, but how sweet would that be if you did a write up on this!!! a great one with picture step by step. you would save people soooo much money
The following users liked this post:
ArrieGold (10-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed... keep us posted!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

Yes please keep us updated. I was getting ready to order an aftermarket door lock kit (electric life power door lock kit for 4 door wranglers), so would like to hear how this turns out.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

I was just looking at the electric power door lock kit.. Looks like that would solve my issue. I have manual half door and trying to power locks actuators for my Viper 5701..
Old 02-19-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

My dealer said that adding the stock remote locks to my sport would create an issue with the computer system. Not sure I buy that so please let us know how it works out.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 11:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pepe
My dealer said that adding the stock remote locks to my sport would create an issue with the computer system. Not sure I buy that so please let us know how it works out.

Thanks
Your dealer is assuming you're wanting to add the complete factory power door lock system to your Jeep. If you tried to do that, you'd have to add a few more pricey components (like the stock remote receiver, and possibly the entire power window system as well), and then find a dealer who'd be willing (and able) to reprogram your Jeeps computer with those extra features. And from what I've heard, if it's not listed by MOPAR as an approved upgrade (like the Rubi axles and electronic swaybar disconnect), then dealers aren't supposed to enable those features on vehicles that didn't come from the factory equipped that way.

If I understand what brad2012 is doing correctly, he's using the stock motors in the doors, then using the stock wiring harness to get the signal inside the Jeep so that he'll retain the factory quick-disconnects. From there though, he'll bypass the Jeeps wiring system and connect the locks to the Viper instead. It's a pretty slick idea, and if it works out well, I might have to start saving my pennies!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snowcamouflage4x4
I just bought a 12 as well, would love to work out some power locks and maybe even the remote start (if its possible on a manual - IDK?). Thanks for the idea!
Remote start on a manual is possible... but none of the OEMs do it (that I know of) and none of the aftermarket kits recommend it. To be safe, the remote start systems verify that the vehicle is not in gear. The problem is that the manual transmission on our Jeep doesn't have a way to report which gear it's in, or if it's in neutral. You'd have to bypass the clutch start switch, and then be sure that you _never_ left your transmission in gear when you parked your Jeep. So to avoid lawsuits, the aftermarket manufacturers are pretty strenuous about this being a bad idea for a manual transmission.

Quick Reply: adding power door locks (oem latches, oem wiring, viper 5701 alarm with remote start)