Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone have proof of higher jku tow capacity outside the USA?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CerOf
They tested the JKU with trailer in death valley, baker, i70 west out of Denver. They expect the vehicle to maintain at least 45 mph on these grades. The JKU could not.
I have verified that the 2007 JK with 4:10's could not maintain 45mph on I70 west out of Denver pulling 3200lbs. I have done that pass several times, the best you can do is 25-30mph tops. I just hope when I do, I can follow someone slower than me. That way I'm not the douchebag holding up traffic.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lazerpunk

I have verified that the 2007 JK with 4:10's could not maintain 45mph on I70 west out of Denver pulling 3200lbs. I have done that pass several times, the best you can do is 25-30mph tops. I just hope when I do, I can follow someone slower than me. That way I'm not the douchebag holding up traffic.
Lol. I hear ya. I was the guy holding up traffic doing 10mph up raton pass from NM into CO with our old popup trailer. That was with our old '01 montero sport, now that was a dog of an engine.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm resurrecting this thread to see if there are any more current experiences to be shared.

I'm currently looking into small travel trailers and the overwhelming response is that the JKU is an inferior towing vehicle even though the trailer I'm looking at is WELL UNDER the max tow rating of 3500.

As I'm being told, a trailer that weighs a mere 2500lbs dry, with a 3500lb GVWR is TOO MUCH trailer for the JKU. Even though it CAN pull it, it's highly unsafe and should not be done. It's being suggested that I only look at pop up campers because the Jeep is not up to the task for anything larger.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm the one that started this thread. You will never get official advice from a car dealer or RV dealer that suggests you can tow more than 3500. However, I can tell you that I very successfully tow my toy hauler with my 2012 jku with 3.73 rear and manual transmission. My toy hauler weighs about 3500 empty. I then put a Harley and other stuff inside that puts the total at about 4500 pounds. I have towed over 5000 miles in NJ, PA, VA, and NC. I'm not going to break any speed records, but I feel very comfortable towing this. I take all safety precautions including weight distribution hitch, sway control, dual axle trailer brakes with prodigy brake controller. In my opinion, the hitch should be stronger. I plan to get a smittybilt bumper someday which has a stronger setup. Keep in mind that the Liberty is now rated for 5000 pounds. It is shorter, narrower, lighter, and has less HP and torque compared to the jku. I feel comfortable going to 5000 pounds, though for me, that would be my limit. MPG when towing drops to about 11. Speed max's out at about 65. 6th gear is useless, but 5th does fine on highway.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler
I'm resurrecting this thread to see if there are any more current experiences to be shared.

I'm currently looking into small travel trailers and the overwhelming response is that the JKU is an inferior towing vehicle even though the trailer I'm looking at is WELL UNDER the max tow rating of 3500.

As I'm being told, a trailer that weighs a mere 2500lbs dry, with a 3500lb GVWR is TOO MUCH trailer for the JKU. Even though it CAN pull it, it's highly unsafe and should not be done. It's being suggested that I only look at pop up campers because the Jeep is not up to the task for anything larger.

Don't let people scare you. It's not the BEST tow vehicle, but it's rated for 3500lbs and I pull a 2800 lb dry travel trailer all over Florida. Granted it's not mountain passes, but it pulls it just fine in flat Florida with my 2014 JKUR. Got a good inertia brake controller and a weight distributing hitch. I originally had a 2008 2dr JK, but they can't tow squat. Then I started looking at trucks and my wife asked me how much the new JKUs can tow...that was all I needed to get a new one and make sure I got a Rubicon!

It's not unsafe unless you exceed the tow rating. It is not as solid as towing with a full size truck, but it's a narrow vehicle, with a spongy suspension and mud terrains...Thus I only run 65 on the highway.

I also only put an AEV spacer lift on for now. I wanted to retain the stock suspension components so it didn't get too squirrelly while towing the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2014, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tow a boat that weighs in close to 4000 lbs. With 3.73's and auto tranny. My setup also has brakes. It is slow to accelerate. While I'm not trying to set speed records I can still out accelerate the average RV. I also pull a pop up camper that is right around 2700 lbs which is considerably easier than the boat. I have not had any problems at all. Like Rob, I take a lot of precautions to make sure everything is up to snuff. The only thing I want to change is my gearing. Even with the stock tires, I'm looking at 4.56 gears. I live in FL and don't tow on the interstate so I can't give an opinion about the mountains or speeds above 60 mph, but my boat gives me no problems once I get to 60 mph.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aerojar
Don't let people scare you. It's not the BEST tow vehicle, but it's rated for 3500lbs and I pull a 2800 lb dry travel trailer all over Florida. Granted it's not mountain passes, but it pulls it just fine in flat Florida with my 2014 JKUR. Got a good inertia brake controller and a weight distributing hitch. I originally had a 2008 2dr JK, but they can't tow squat. Then I started looking at trucks and my wife asked me how much the new JKUs can tow...that was all I needed to get a new one and make sure I got a Rubicon!

It's not unsafe unless you exceed the tow rating. It is not as solid as towing with a full size truck, but it's a narrow vehicle, with a spongy suspension and mud terrains...Thus I only run 65 on the highway.

I also only put an AEV spacer lift on for now. I wanted to retain the stock suspension components so it didn't get too squirrelly while towing the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Real world experience and proof! FINALLY!
Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smitty12JKU
I tow a boat that weighs in close to 4000 lbs. With 3.73's and auto tranny. My setup also has brakes. It is slow to accelerate. While I'm not trying to set speed records I can still out accelerate the average RV. I also pull a pop up camper that is right around 2700 lbs which is considerably easier than the boat. I have not had any problems at all. Like Rob, I take a lot of precautions to make sure everything is up to snuff. The only thing I want to change is my gearing. Even with the stock tires, I'm looking at 4.56 gears. I live in FL and don't tow on the interstate so I can't give an opinion about the mountains or speeds above 60 mph, but my boat gives me no problems once I get to 60 mph.
My 2014 JKU is the Sport version, auto, but I do have the 3.73's. I will be adding an after market 5000lb class III hitch with a 7 way and brake controller. And I'm sticking with stock suspension and my Rubicon wheel upgrade.

Last edited by PhotoWrangler; 06-13-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler
My 2014 JKUR is the Sport version, auto, but I do have the 3.73's. I will be adding an after market 5000lb class III hitch with a 7 way and brake controller. And I'm sticking with stock suspension and my Rubicon wheel upgrade.
The smittybuilt bumper is the only solution I found to obtain a hitch receiver rated for 5000 pounds. As far as I can tell, nobody makes just a receiver rated for that. You have to replace the whole bumper with the smittibilt one.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
The smittybuilt bumper is the only solution I found to obtain a hitch receiver rated for 5000 pounds. As far as I can tell, nobody makes just a receiver rated for that. You have to replace the whole bumper with the smittibilt one.

I called Discount Hitch here in Pasadena TX. That's what he told me he'd install. And he's been in business for 40 years so I'm hoping he knows what he's doing.

Quick Reply: Anyone have proof of higher jku tow capacity outside the USA?