Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone have proof of higher jku tow capacity outside the USA?

Old 06-13-2014, 04:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler
I called Discount Hitch here in Pasadena TX. That's what he told me he'd install. And he's been in business for 40 years so I'm hoping he knows what he's doing.
What hitch did they tell you they were installing. Just putting a Class 3 hitch on the crossmember will not make that any stronger. You really need to tie directly into the frame rails. The smittybilt bumper does this.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
What hitch did they tell you they were installing. Just putting a Class 3 hitch on the crossmember will not make that any stronger. You really need to tie directly into the frame rails. The smittybilt bumper does this.

He just said that he would install a 5000lb hitch. However I'm thinking that he was a bit mistaken because this is what's listed on their website.

http://www.discounthitches.com/Part/13432

I'm going to check out the SB bumper.

EDIT: Which SB bumper are you referring to? The one that I see on Quadratec without a tire carrier is only rated for 3500lbs as well.

Last edited by PhotoWrangler; 06-13-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
OK, here is what we've learned so far with hard facts, not rumors. Regarding the 2012 JKU with the 3.6 engine towing capacity with a braked trailer:

USA - 3500 pounds (1587 kg)
Sweden - 4400 pounds (2000 kg)
Germany - 4400 pounds (2000 kg)
England - 4400 pounds (2000 kg)
Australia - 4800 pounds (2200 kg)

Based on this, I will feel comfortable towing a small toy hauler with a total loaded weight of around 4400 pounds. That 900 pound increase over the USA rated weight opens up many more possibilities as to what trailers are available. I wish someone just had the absolute real answer about why the US limits the JKU to 3500.
That is dangerous, it clearly states that towing capacity is much lower in the US. It probably has to do with increased gravitational pull or astronomical anomalies like micro black holes (probably in Washington DC) sucking up all physics logic. What you need to do is determine where your tow package magically changes (for example everything causes cancer in California and Florida is really a hurricane National Park) and drive/tow accordingly.

As far as facts, I regularly pulled a 3700 pound custom trailer (one an uncle made by cutting off the bed of a pickup truck) to deer camp without any noticeable issues. That was up and over and through the Rockies as well as pulling/dragging it offroad. Despite being a non traditional trailer it was well built and had a similar clearance as the Jeep.

Last edited by CombatDiver; 06-13-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

He just said that he would install a 5000lb hitch. However I'm thinking that he was a bit mistaken because this is what's listed on their website. http://www.discounthitches.com/Part/13432 I'm going to check out the SB bumper. EDIT: Which SB bumper are you referring to? The one that I see on Quadratec without a tire carrier is only rated for 3500lbs as well.
I think it is their XRC model. I actually called smittybilt to specifically ask about the bumper hitch capacity and they told me it is rated for 5000 pounds.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Junkie

He just said that he would install a 5000lb hitch. However I'm thinking that he was a bit mistaken because this is what's listed on their website. http://www.discounthitches.com/Part/13432 I'm going to check out the SB bumper. EDIT: Which SB bumper are you referring to? The one that I see on Quadratec without a tire carrier is only rated for 3500lbs as well.
That discount hitch you posted is essentially identical to the OEM hitch. It will not increase capacity over the factory hitch. It still only attaches to the crossbar. Having said that, I have towed up to 5000 pounds with the factory setup. I have not yet upgraded to the smittybilt, but plan to.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CombatDiver
That is dangerous, it clearly states that towing capacity is much lower in the US. It probably has to do with increased gravitational pull or astronomical anomalies like micro black holes (probably in Washington DC) sucking up all physics logic. What you need to do is determine where your tow package magically changes (for example everything causes cancer in California and Florida is really a hurricane National Park) and drive/tow accordingly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	l_6ec39650-9bc1-11e1-b354-8fa327400002.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	559369
Old 06-17-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default real world experience towing; 12 JKURubi, 4.88 gears. Auto tran

I have pulled a 4000lb travel trailer (true weight at truck scale) over 3000 miles across the south, southwest and rockies. first trip I had 3.73 gears, 31" road tires, auto tranny. I had a hard time staying in 4th and 5th gear on any kind of climb, even overpasses in Florida. The drive from Clayton NM to Raton was a nightmare. Going 50-55 into a headwind on a continuous updgrade for hours the jeep kept downshifting from 5th to 3rd. The auto tranny in 3rd gear pushes about 3500-4000 rpm trying to maintain 50-60mph. Raton pass and I-70 west of Denver were almost undoable as it downshifted all the way to 1st and crept up the last mile or so at 10-15mph. I had to pull off and let the engine cool and even considered using low range and crawling along the shoulder to the summit. Finally made it at 10-15 in first but it was a nailbiter.

Gearing: 65mph
5th 2300rpm, 4th 2800rpm, then 3rd 4000rpm!

Then switched to 4.88 gears and it made a huge difference! I also learned you cant use cruise control with the jeep auto tranny. if the trans senses any resistance it downshifts but taking it out of cruise and letting the jeep run up its speed on downhill and slow on uphills it does fine at 55-65mph.
I run about 3000rpm in 5th with the new setup at 65mph and Im fine with that. I try to stay around 63mph when towing and get 11MPG.

(Caution in 12 and newer models with an auto trans, if you switch from 3.73 to 4.88 gears you MUST use a chip to correct for the new ratio or the computer will put the jeep in safe mode which keeps it in 1st gear and limits speed to about 15-25mph and ultimately shuts down the engine! I use the AEV chip and it works fine)

Switching to manual shift mode doesn't help because it still downshifts like crazy on its own. Its not a true "manual" shift mode.

I have been told by many other JKU rubi owners that they have no problem pulling 4000-4500lbs with a 6spd stick.

I have towed my trailer (18' Rpod with extra gear 4000lbs loaded) for over 8,000 miles with no ill effects on the standard hitch, frame, vehicle, engine, trans.

I have no swaying issues, no seesawing or bouncing around, stability just fine! The aero shape of the RPOD helps and a good brake controller helps with the trailer brakes. strap on mirror extenders and a rear camera help too!

My choice now would be a stick instead of auto trans if I planned to keep towing. (Now I tow the jeep behind my 36' motorhome instead. 6mpg but who cares?)

DWC

Last edited by dwcrisp; 06-18-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

^^^ That's interesting. Thanks for posting!

Quick Reply: Anyone have proof of higher jku tow capacity outside the USA?