Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Casting sand left in the engine block.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would drain and FLUSH the cooling system and then replace the coolant with Dexcool antifreeze made by GM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after 2 years of trying to get this straightened out on my 08 I finally called dealer and said is the radiator,core & water pump covered on my extended bumper to bumper warranty and they said yes y? I said we'll take them out and replace them not flush REPLACE them I dnt care how you write it up if I'm laying you for this jeep and you want to keep receiving said $ then let's get down to business. After removing them they called to say they were sorry core was ad as well as radiator and that they would check Ll other composts while they had it there should be 1-2 days.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default Inline coolant filter

Originally Posted by 08jetvette
Y'all can try a coolant filter. The 6.0 ford diesel had this problem and guys starting using a coolant filter setup. I would post a link, but it's to a non-sponsor and I'm too new to get in trouble. Google coolant filter and you'll see what I'm talking about. Best of luck.
Where inline did you install the filter? Having horrible trouble with casting sand, and am remotely located: getting to a dealership requires either a 7-hour ferry ride and a week to get in parts anyway, or a 600-mile drive in the other direction. Currently have no heat (in Alaska... in the dead of winter... with sub-zero temperatures coming up this week!) and the water pump is actively leaking. Chrysler wants us to ferry the Jeep down to Juneau, but the dealer there says he's never heard of this problem (scary... as it's ALL OVER the internet), doesn't keep a heater core in stock (!) and will take 4-5 days to get parts in. Not exactly convenient. This will probably be the last Jeep I ever buy, although we've bought eight since 2004. The six 2004s we had never gave us problem one.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If there is casting sand in the cooling system, wouldn't it be in the oil system too? I know the two systems are seperate. But why is it only in the cooling system?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably is in the oil gallies and passages too but with every oil change the filter 99% of the time is just tossed away ... never cut open for an inspection. At that rate you will never know ...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Probably is in the oil gallies and passages too but with every oil change the filter 99% of the time is just tossed away ... never cut open for an inspection. At that rate you will never know ...
I wouldn't think it would take very long to find out if you have sand in the lube system?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
If there is casting sand in the cooling system, wouldn't it be in the oil system too? I know the two systems are seperate. But why is it only in the cooling system?
There are some rumors that this could be the cause of the lifter tick in some 2012's
Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Frontier Dave
Where inline did you install the filter? Having horrible trouble with casting sand, and am remotely located: getting to a dealership requires either a 7-hour ferry ride and a week to get in parts anyway, or a 600-mile drive in the other direction. Currently have no heat (in Alaska... in the dead of winter... with sub-zero temperatures coming up this week!) and the water pump is actively leaking. Chrysler wants us to ferry the Jeep down to Juneau, but the dealer there says he's never heard of this problem (scary... as it's ALL OVER the internet), doesn't keep a heater core in stock (!) and will take 4-5 days to get parts in. Not exactly convenient. This will probably be the last Jeep I ever buy, although we've bought eight since 2004. The six 2004s we had never gave us problem one.
First off, if you have no heat, try reverse flushing the heater core. You might get lucky and get some heat going. I would also flush the engine and radiator. As far as the coolant filter, you can install that in one of the heater core hoses. Good luck, hope you get the heat back.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tomlennon
I wanted to share this with you guys - some evidence - that this is a problem with this engine and model year. I have a 2010 JKU, 29k miles (mostly on-road, I've never forded any water), original owner. My heater has been slowly dying - it used to blow so hot it'd melt your face off - now I'm lucky if the car warms up in 45 minutes.

I've seen the posts about there possibly being sand in the radiators, left over from the casting process. I popped my cap off yesterday, hoping to maybe work some air out of the lines, but I stopped after I looked at the bottom of the cap. It's covered in SAND! Check it out:

Attachment 414259

My vehicle is under warranty - I'm not sweating too much - but aside from the heating core - what did they need to replace, and why?

That really doesn't look like casting sand, looks more like minerals coming out of the coolant. I've seen this goo before in other vehicles, but not to the degree that you're seeing it. I'd completely drain and flush the system then fill it up with just plain distilled water and run it like that for a few days if the weather is cool, but not freezing, and see if you're still getting sand.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I doubt its casting sand. I work in an aluminum foundry, casting heads for trickflow. Casting sand is extremely fine sand. After its cast the cores are rattled out of the casting, then the kalpurs are cut off (draw tubes for when its cooling) its blown out with high pressure air then it goes into a heat age process when it comes out its dipped in a water quench. Its then put in a tumbler and shot blasted then machined. I personally don't think that its casting sand. Just my opinion though. All the heat pretty much breaks down the catalyst in the sand holding it together and it just falls out or is blown out. It would have to be alot of sand in there to clog stuff up and I can't see that happening.

Quick Reply: Casting sand left in the engine block.