Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Changing from a soft top to a 3 piece hardtop

Old 06-14-2019, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Changing from a soft top to a 3 piece hardtop

I have an 07 JK 2 door with a new soft top installed last week, I want to change to a 3 piece hard top..Do I need any additional parts to complete an install? Thanks for your input! The one I am looking at getting is an 09

Last edited by Dinky Dau; 06-14-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Negative. You'll need hard top bolts (6) and maybe the two long screws that go through the sound bar. Strip all the soft top hardware out of there and plop the hard top on.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! Do they sell a hardware kit?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks I just found the kit on Amazon
Old 06-15-2019, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your jeep came from the factory with just a soft top you probably don't have the wiring or controls for the rear wiper/washer and defrost for the hard top. There is a kit for that also if you need those features. Just check on the driver's side behind the roll bar down at the mating surface where the hard top would sit. Usually the harness would be tucked up under the lip if you have it.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpd2434
If your jeep came from the factory with just a soft top you probably don't have the wiring or controls for the rear wiper/washer and defrost for the hard top. There is a kit for that also if you need those features. Just check on the driver's side behind the roll bar down at the mating surface where the hard top would sit. Usually the harness would be tucked up under the lip if you have it.
Thanks for the heads up, I will look!
Old 06-15-2019, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpd2434
I went a looked and their is a 1 inch round wire loom protecting the harness going to the back. I assume that is for the tail lights?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 07 JKU, here’s the wiring that’s referred to. It’s on driver side. I tuck into carpet when the tops off
Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike Fitz

I have 07 JKU, here’s the wiring that’s referred to. It’s on driver side. I tuck into carpet when the tops off
Thanks I guess I will have to start looking for a harness kit..I doubt I will use the rear wiper though
Old 06-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You'll be looking for the wiper switch from Amazon, the heater control panel plus harness (kit on Amazon, ~$125), and then there's some extra plumbing required for the rear window washer fluid. All of those are nice features but thinking about what you're coming from, you may not feel the need to have all of those features so you don't necessarily need all of the extra expense. I had the Bestop trektop hybrid pro (soft top with sliding side windows and solid rear glass) and it was so much better for visibility in the rain than a soft top that I can't say I'd bother with the wiper. I ended up going back to a soft top because the slant top look wasn't for me but the glass alone makes things easier for viewing without adding wipers and defrosters.

Found the kit, although Amazon may be cheaper.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/swit...-82210215.html

I've also seen it without the rear wiper but "Jeep jk hard top wiring kit" is what you're looking for.

Last edited by karls10jk; 06-15-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing from a soft top to a 3 piece hardtop