Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

check engine light comes on and no throttle responce

Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light comes on and no throttle responce

So here is my issue.. I got this jeep on December 9th , it is a used 2013 JKU sport and had 35K on it. Not even a week after I got it I was driving on a local road at about 35 mph and the check engine light came on. I called the dealer the next morning and made and appointment for the next day for them to look at it but of coarse on my way to the dealer for the appointment the light went out. They checked it over and found nothing.. I figured it was a fluke. About a week later im driving up to a highway and the light came on and as I was going to merge onto the highway (no traffic luckily) it did not have any response when I pushed the gas pedal down pretty far.. I let it out completely and slowly got up to speed and went to my destination which was close .After I got back in the jeep to leave the light was still on and when I got on the highway I punched it and it went like normal no problems .. next day light went out before I could even call the dealer. A week or so after that I go to merge onto another highway and light comes on right before I get to the highway and when I punch it down to merge nothing happens and I almost got smacked by and 18 wheeler .. I pulled off and after traffic was clear I punched it again to see if it would do It again and it did… I could feather the gas up to speed but even if I was up to 40-50 mph and tried to kick it into passing gear it would die out completely and if I let the gas out completely and slowly feather it up to speed it would work fine. I got to my location and did the same thing as last time .. on my way home tried the same process .. no issues at all so it seems to reset it self after I turn off the ignition but the light will stay on for so many miles.. since it was mid day and I almost got killed I decided to call the dealer and explain that it did it again and what was happening and asked them if they can just make a note that I called and the light came back on and what happen but they said that nothing can be noted unless they have the vehicle and have a work order.. Which I can understand.. They said if it happens again to bring it up and not to shut it off so if they are not busy they can see what its doing. Well today it did it again but I could not leave the jeep running where I was going and when I came back out and pulled away .. same thing it was fine.. Im hoping next time I can get it up to the dealer but in the mean time .Has this happen to anyone or Does anyone have any ideas ? I imagine it is something electrical but this is way out of my field of expertise.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Don't have much to contribute to this except one possibly useful approach: I thought the CEL codes were stored in the computer. So, even if your light goes out, they can tell you why it came on. Ask them. In fact, before you take it to the dealer, take it to an auto parts store and have them read the codes*, but don't clear them. Then confront the dealer with the code, not a problem they claim doesn't exist for them. In fact, even if you don't find any codes, still take it in and ask what codes were present--I've also heard (but don't know if it's true) that the codes are buried deep enough that a user clear doesn't actually clear what the dealer can bring up with their software tools. Again, not sure the truth of any of the preceding--just stuff I've read on the Internet, so who knows?

*There's a way to get your dash to give you this readout, too, but it's just easier with a proper code reader--and free!

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-22-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man this sounds super similar to my problem this fall. I don't want to say 100% but I would guess your fuel pump. Read my thread and what I went through. It's not the same but it's not far off.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...change-288924/
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Huntphreak
Man this sounds super similar to my problem this fall. I don't want to say 100% but I would guess your fuel pump. Read my thread and what I went through. It's not the same but it's not far off.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...change-288924/
Thank you so much .. that gives me an idea of something to start with.. Mine has only happen on short trips and my engine is the 3.6 as apposed to the 3.8 but I will check to see if they have similar or maybe the same fuel pump.. was it cold out when yours failed ? not sure if the cold makes a difference on my issue since I have not got to run it in warm weather yet.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would start by putting it in neutral and bring it up to 3000-3500 rpm and see if it will hold the rpm for about a minute. If it can't hold it, or is erratic I would go after that pump. There so many factors with the fuel pump performance. When the tank it low on fuel the pump runs hotter, because the submersion in the fuel is what keeps it cool. Of course it's design to be both submerged and not submerged but less heat is almost always better. This is why the problem comes and goes. Mine in particular had gotten really bad and was straight leaving me on the side of the road.

When it comes to chasing repairs go for the cheapest likely culprit first.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

I would find a new dealer. CEL codes are stored in the ecu and can be read even after the light goes out. Take it to autozone or find someone local with a reader (procal, flashcal etc)

This could be related to the bad batch of heads that plagued the '12 and '13.

How has your fuel mileage been?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.Bones
I would find a new dealer. CEL codes are stored in the ecu and can be read even after the light goes out. Take it to autozone or find someone local with a reader (procal, flashcal etc)

This could be related to the bad batch of heads that plagued the '12 and '13.

How has your fuel mileage been?
I bought it off of one of the bigger dealers in the Pittsburgh area.. my gas mileage is not what I was hoping.. I went from a 4.0 TJ getting around 15 to the 3.6 only getting 17.8 on the highway
Old 01-22-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaker541
I bought it off of one of the bigger dealers in the Pittsburgh area.. my gas mileage is not what I was hoping.. I went from a 4.0 TJ getting around 15 to the 3.6 only getting 17.8 on the highway
That's not bad with the winter blend gas, it'll improve come springtime.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jiblet
That's not bad with the winter blend gas, it'll improve come springtime.
i hope so
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

It could also be your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor, not Report, lol). Definitely get a scanner on it and record any and all codes, then check them against the database. Everything is controlled electronically now, so if there's an issue, there will be a code or at least a pending code, which any scanner worth its weight can also read.

Quick Reply: check engine light comes on and no throttle responce