Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door lock disable

Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door lock disable

Feeling lazy this morning. Did a half hearted search and couldn't get anything to show. I couldn't find it in the manual. Does anyone know off the top of their head how to disable the automatic door locks that kick in at 15-16 mph?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take off the doors.

*L* seriously though, i dont know, but why would you want to?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience with most of these... If your Jeep is doing what it says, just do it again to reverse it.... Or disable it or whatever, lol.

JK Wrangler Power Locks Tweaks

There seem to be many combinations of the power lock operation in the new JK. Some of these procedures are under debate and some you may need to try a few times to get it right. Use at your own risk.

Set the locks to auto-lock at 15 mph and auto unlock all when either front door is opened.
Get in the Jeep, insert the key. Cycle the key from insertion position to "on" position 5 times, upon completing the 5th cycle make sure the key ends in the "on" position, press the unlock switch up twice.

Set the locks to auto-lock at 15 mph with NO auto unlock all when either front door is opened.
Get in the Jeep, insert the key. Cycle the key from insertion position to "on" position 5 times, upon completing the 5th cycle make sure the key ends in the "on" position, press the unlock switch up once.

Stop the "HONK" when you lock the doors using the fob.
Press and hold the Lock button on the fob for at least 5 seconds, while still holding the lock button press the Panic button and release both. Test operation.

Unlock all the doors with one press of the unlock on the fob.
Press and hold the Lock button on the fob for at least 5 seconds but no more than 10. While still holding the Lock button press and hold the Unlock button. Release both and test.

Turn off the lights flash when locking.
Press the unlock button on the fob for 4 to 10 seconds. While still holding the unlock button press and hold the lock button. Release both and test.

Notes on the security system

-Locking the Jeep with the fob always activates the security system.
-Unlocking the door with the key in the lock tumbler and opening the door will set off the alarm. It is disarmed by inserting the key into the ignition.
-To lock the Jeep without activating the alarm, lock all the doors within the Jeep, exit the Jeep, this will unlock the exit door. Lock the door using the lock tumbler.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine just stopped Not sure how to get them back on (will read above in a minute).
Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Take off the doors.

*L* seriously though, i dont know, but why would you want to?
Now why didn't I think of that? It was 13 below yesterday, my brain must've froze.

I don't like the doors locking when on the trail. I always get paranoid about my keys getting locked in.

Thanks for the directions guys.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Unplug the harness, but don't forget to roll the windows down first.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by REDR0CKJK
From my experience with most of these... If your Jeep is doing what it says, just do it again to reverse it.... Or disable it or whatever, lol.
Fantastic information redrockjk - Thanks. I was just telling my wife last night that I was going to look into how to program the JK to unlock all the doors when I get out of the driver's side.

That's the real purpose for forums like this, to share positive information.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Fantastic information redrockjk - Thanks. I was just telling my wife last night that I was going to look into how to program the JK to unlock all the doors when I get out of the driver's side.
I did this over the weekend on my wife's "new used" 2007 Wrangler X. I followed the "official" instructions (from the service manual which someone generously posted) for disabling "rolling lock", which say "FOUR" on-off cycles of the ignition switch, within 10 seconds, then leave the igntion switch off and push DOWN on the driver's door lock switch until you hear a chime.

No chime was ever heard. I tried it again, then tried FIVE cycles, then tried pushing the door lock switch UP (this is the unlock on driver's door opening) -- never got a chime.

So, don't expect a chime! (My guess is that the firmware has changed)

BUT, the result at the end of all my futzing around, was that the doors no longer lock at 25 MPH, AND if a door is locked, it will unlock when the driver's door is opened.

If it didn't take so long, I'd go back and try to figure exactly what does what, but I'm where I want to be now, so "if it works, don't fix it!", I guess.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Press and hold the Lock button on the fob for at least 5 seconds but no more than 10. While still holding the Lock button press and hold the Unlock button. Release both and test.

I did this, but an unwanted consequence was that when you exit the vehicle only the driver's side door will unlock (or the passenger's side if someone exits that side). Other doors stay locked until you hit the unlock button on the door or the key fob.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here is a list of the programming sequences

I tried to put all these programming sequences into a thread awhile back -->https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...isable-228859/

Originally Posted by REDR0CKJK

JK Wrangler Power Locks Tweaks

There seem to be many combinations of the power lock operation in the new JK. Some of these procedures are under debate and some you may need to try a few times to get it right. Use at your own risk.

Set the locks to auto-lock at 15 mph and auto unlock all when either front door is opened.
Get in the Jeep, insert the key. Cycle the key from insertion position to "on" position 5 times, upon completing the 5th cycle make sure the key ends in the "on" position, press the unlock switch up twice.

Set the locks to auto-lock at 15 mph with NO auto unlock all when either front door is opened.
Get in the Jeep, insert the key. Cycle the key from insertion position to "on" position 5 times, upon completing the 5th cycle make sure the key ends in the "on" position, press the unlock switch up once.

Stop the "HONK" when you lock the doors using the fob.
Press and hold the Lock button on the fob for at least 5 seconds, while still holding the lock button press the Panic button and release both. Test operation.

Turn off the lights flash when locking.
Press the unlock button on the fob for 4 to 10 seconds. While still holding the unlock button press and hold the lock button. Release both and test.

Notes on the security system

-Locking the Jeep with the fob always activates the security system.
-Unlocking the door with the key in the lock tumbler and opening the door will set off the alarm. It is disarmed by inserting the key into the ignition.
-To lock the Jeep without activating the alarm, lock all the doors within the Jeep, exit the Jeep, this will unlock the exit door. Lock the door using the lock tumbler.
I was camping this last weekend. I was trying to find a way to disable the lights from coming on when you unlock the Jeep so it wouldn't flash the next campsite. I searched the owner manual and I don't think that it is possible. I tried to unlock my Jeep with the keys to see if that would not turn the lights on and the POS alarm sounded. REALLY JEEP, your going to set off the alarm when I use my key in the door. Who the hell designs this crap?

Quick Reply: Door lock disable