Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

door seal leak

Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door seal leak

I have a 07 X 2 door. Does anyone else have the problem with the upper door seal leaking like crazy when it rains? It leaks when it is sitting but not on the road. I assume cause the wind is blowing the water out of the channel. Is there a TSB for this? Help
Old 10-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you would probably be better off asking who doesnt have that problem.

Mine has an intermittant leak that drops right on the interior handle. Lucky for me though, It doesnt do it when their "expert" looks at it.

I cant consistently reproduce it either. My weatherstripping is all properly seated. ~ not a clue here how to fix it. No TSB for the problem I am having.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine drops on the same exact spot happy. After a full day of Savannah rain now my Jeep has a wonderful musty smell to it. I guess it just adds to to rugged effect.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Eternal ***erator

oh it sucks, and I am not happy about it at all, but I am not going to give up the Jeep because of it.

There are a LOT of threads on this very issue, I dont think anyone has a good answer yet, but someone did have a little luck with sillyputty of all things. *L*
Old 10-25-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

thats what i love about this forum, we are some creative SOB's
Old 10-25-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don't think mine leaks ,I think it pours in After a night of good old Florida rain I opened the door this morning to go for a ride in my 2 week old baby and found about 3inches of water in my floorboards I had to pull all of my carpet out and tossed it away.I guess it's a jeep so it should be without carpet anyway.not sure where the water is comming from,but I guess it's off to the dealer.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Door seal leaks

I guess that I am lucky my 07 unlimited does not leak around the door seals or freedom top.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

after much reading and relizing this is a problem i have decided to take matters into my own hands. A solution is to come but i honestly feel like the easy thing to do is to go to lowes and get soem silicon and fill in the spot on the seal that leaks. All though infair to us , it should take care of the problem. Stay tuned.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

Dude! I think I just fixed mine! I haven't taken it in to the dealer yet, but the other night I decided to investigate the leakage situation myself, I mean, how hard could it be?
What I noticed is there is a piece of weather-stripping foam directly above where I have noticed the water coming in. I looked through the junk in my workshop (yeah, yeah, I'm a pack rat) and found a leftover piece of weather-strip foam from a window air-conditioning unit. It was 1/2" thick x 1 1/2" wide. I cut it a little longer than the existing piece and stuck it on. VOILA! I got into a dry Jeep the last few days! haven't had a gully washer yet so we'll see. Might try to put it to the test tomorrow with the ol' garden hose. If it stands up to that I'll take some pictures and post.
Crappy design though. Some engineer in R&D probably lost their job over that one.

Rock ON
Old 10-26-2008, 04:03 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by rubican!
after much reading and relizing this is a problem i have decided to take matters into my own hands. A solution is to come but i honestly feel like the easy thing to do is to go to lowes and get soem silicon and fill in the spot on the seal that leaks. All though infair to us , it should take care of the problem. Stay tuned.

I hope it works for you.

I have tried using silicon in several spots, none of which have ever made a bit of difference. I have been messing with it on and off for two years without luck. I try something a little different, it rains for a week and i get no drips, think kewl! i finally got it!

The next morning i could spawn goldfish in my slushmats.
it's frustrating, but if it was as simple as a dab of silicon in the right spot, i am pretty sure i would have hit that spot by now.

Quick Reply: door seal leak