Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door Storage

Old 06-19-2015, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Storage

Sorry if this question has been answered in another thread, but I wasn't able to find any postings regarding this issue.

I am the lone driver of a 4-door hardtop JK. Frequently I simply take off just the driver-side freedom panel. In addition, I would like to start driving with just the driver side door removed. On the one hand, I could buy a padded storage bag for $80, fold the rear seats down and keep the door in the back. Another option would be to spend the $400+ on soft doors and keep the steel door stored in the shed.

My question is: have any of you stored your full steel door in the back while driving around? Would it get scratched even in the padded bag? The obvious attraction for keeping the door in the Jeep would be the ability to throw it on in the event of a rainstorm. The downside would be having the lug the heavy door in and out of the back every time it starts raining. The attraction of the soft-door is just how lightweight and easily stored it is... Would the extra $$$$ be worth it for the soft-doors?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a new product coming to market. Hope to have it ready for sale by end of June. http://Www.jeepersdoorcaddy.com Check back for release date and pricing.

Last edited by tsamptrail; 06-19-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tsamptrail
I have a new product coming to market. Hope to have it ready for sale by end of June. Jeepers Door Caddy - JeepersDoorCaddy Check back for release date and pricing.

That's a great idea. Good luck with it.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2014Wrangler
That's a great idea. Good luck with it.
Thank you. I'll have it on display and hopefully taking orders at The York and Ocean City shows.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why just one side? Have you ever taken the full doors off and felt how awkward they are to move? The outside metal skin is so thin that you can press on it and watch it dip. I would be concerned that one fast turn and you would have a huge dent in the middle of the door.i suggest taking them off and storing them somewhere safe. Your other choice would be element doors but even though they are enclosed you will get a lot of road noise.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This just sounds lazy. Take BOTH sides off, whether it's 2 doors or 2 freedom panels.

The freedom panels can be stored in the back pretty easily. Keep the doors in your shed if you remove them. If you think there might be rain, just leave the doors on. They're not designed to be stored in the jeep.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

GAY!!!! Taking one door off and one freedom panel top lol just teasing... But I mean it lol
Buy the Bestop soft doors .... I've spent thousands on my jeep but these soft doors are one of the best mods I've done.... Store my hard doors from March/April until the end of October..... So easy to remove top part of soft door and replace when a shower pops up. My rear seat is folded down and I keep a moving blanket in the back just to cover up the soft doors when the top 1/2 is off or even the complete door(s)...... Spend the money you'll love them... Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2331842581.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	615384   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-7870495.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	806.6 KB
ID:	615385  
Old 06-20-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses. I will admit that it is a bit of laziness...but for (what I think) is good reason. I live in a spot where I can't leave doors off overnight (my wife's car has been broken into twice parked right next to the Jeep). I go to work at 4am and having my door off makes my job much easier (deliveries...jump into and out of the driver seat 50+ times each morning). The idea of removing both panels and doors at 3am before work is not appealing (not to mention I don't want to wake everyone in the house by coming in and out with doors), so I usually just take my door off and the driver-side panel. Until now I have been storing the driver door in the house, but when we get pop-up showers, I get soaked. So I wanted an option that would allow me to get a door on quickly...keeping the driver side door in the Jeep seemed logical, but I guess there is too much risk of denting it...I will probably pick up the Bestop soft doors.

Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by chcl81
Thanks for the responses. I will admit that it is a bit of laziness...but for (what I think) is good reason. I live in a spot where I can't leave doors off overnight (my wife's car has been broken into twice parked right next to the Jeep). I go to work at 4am and having my door off makes my job much easier (deliveries...jump into and out of the driver seat 50+ times each morning). The idea of removing both panels and doors at 3am before work is not appealing (not to mention I don't want to wake everyone in the house by coming in and out with doors), so I usually just take my door off and the driver-side panel. Until now I have been storing the driver door in the house, but when we get pop-up showers, I get soaked. So I wanted an option that would allow me to get a door on quickly...keeping the driver side door in the Jeep seemed logical, but I guess there is too much risk of denting it...I will probably pick up the Bestop soft doors.

Thanks again.
I don't blame you for your situation ...... You'll love the soft doors tho ..... Order soon I think the fronts were back ordered ..... Post pics too

Quick Reply: Door Storage