Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electronic Throttle Control Warning.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Throttle Control Warning.

Hey Guys

I've done some research on this Throttle Control Warning light, but it seems like it was affecting 2007-2008 Jeeps. Mine is a 2010, and it came on for a split second, then my Jeep ran rough for a few seconds. I shut it off then turned it back on and it was fine, then the next time i started it, I pulled a check engine light, and after 5 key cycles the check engine light went away, and seems is fine for about a week now.

Anyone experience this? Should I take it in to the dealer so they can find nothing wrong with it!

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Dunno... No problems here but the first things I'd grab at and check would be the connectors on the pedal at the floor and under the hood on the throttle control. If nothing else, unplug and put new electrical grease and reconnect insuring a snug connection...
Old 04-03-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

My ETC light seems to come on every time I get a tank of gas at a station other than my "main" station. '07 JK. Been happening for a couple years. Now, it seems to come on all the time. Never effects actual performance, but having that red light still concerns me. Turning the engine off then on seems to fix it most every time.
Just searched other for this issue and one solution seems to be replacing the PCV valve. Claims to be a $5 fix, so it must be something available at the auto parts store. Not sure what this is, will start to search this next.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Check for codes, now, and especially next time you see the ETC light.

I don't see the logic in changing the PCV valve, and having it be the solution.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

How do I access the codes? Do I need a special tool, or can I access through the dash?

I had done a search on "Throttle Control" and this thread has the logic of why it might be connected to the PCV. Title is "Lighting Bolt".
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...&highlight=pcv

There are other threads out there too that allude to a connection. I'm no expert, just trying to benefit from the knowledge of the forum.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Run2Ga
How do I access the codes? Do I need a special tool, or can I access through the dash?

I had done a search on "Throttle Control" and this thread has the logic of why it might be connected to the PCV. Title is "Lighting Bolt".

There are other threads out there too that allude to a connection. I'm no expert, just trying to benefit from the knowledge of the forum.
1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.

2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes as shown in the pic to the left. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s) and check it/them against the list below to find out what they mean.

3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged in any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

I looked at the thread referenced. The "logical" explanation includes a reference to the MAF ( Mass Air Flow) sensor. The JK doesn't have a MAF sensor. That takes away from the credibility of the explanation.

Additionally, another person in the thread had the same symptoms, and a new PCV valve did not fix anything.

With all the other stuff the poster had replaced, I think it was a coincidence the light quit illuminating after the new PCV valve was installed.

But, it's such a cheap part, it will not hurt to try it.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, even though I don't have the light I gave this a try and got
P0221 - Throttle Position Sensor 2 Performance
P2135 - Throttle Position Sensor 1/2 Correlated

Don't know what these really mean, but its more info.

(Also, since I thought it was somehow related to crappy gas I was sometimes getting, I just got a bottle of STP performance/cleaner and put it in with my last fill a couple days ago.)
Old 04-04-2010, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

OK, even though I don't have the light I gave this a try and got
P0221 - Throttle Position Sensor 2 Performance
P2135 - Throttle Position Sensor 1/2 Correlated

Don't know what these really mean, but its more info.

(Also, since I thought it was somehow related to crappy gas I was sometimes getting, I just got a bottle of STP performance/cleaner and put it in with my last fill a couple days ago.)
P0221-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 2 PERFORMANCE

When Monitored:
Ignition on and No MAP Sensor DTCs set.

Set Condition:
TP Sensor signals do not correlate to the MAP Sensor signal. Two Trip Fault.
ETC light will illuminate. P2135 should set with this code also.

Possible Causes

EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K22) TP SIGNAL 1 CIRCUIT

EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K122) TP SIGNAL 2 CIRCUIT

EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (F855) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT

EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K922) TP SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT

(K22) TP SIGNAL 1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (K122) TP SIGNAL 2 CIRCUIT

THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR/THROTTLE BODY

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

NOTE: When this DTC is Active the engine speed, torque, and vehicle speed are limited to a Limp in mode.

NOTE: Diagnose any other TP Sensor DTC(s) before continuing.

NOTE: The throttle plate and linkage should be free from binding and carbon build up.

NOTE: Inspect the engine for vacuum leaks.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

FWIW, my ETC light has been coming on with less frequency this summer, but still comes on from time to time. Summer fuel mix change is the only thing I can think of other than the weather. Had the Jeep in for recall checks and brake inspection earlier this week, so I had the PCV changed too. Cost less than $50. No idea if it will help or not, time will tell.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Warning.