Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Coolant Dilemma - Drain and Flush???

Old 01-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Reading all the replies .. NO ONE indicated that they had a leak.. READ the Factory info... It came with 5yr / 100,000 mile coolant.. the color is not crucial UNLESS you are putting in GREEN.. which is not 5yr/100K. If you don't have a leak and it is NOT at the ADD mark - What is the Dilemna ???
HOAT and OAT engine coolants can not be mixed. If you do, gel will start forming inside your cooling system and clogging things up. Look at the diagram I posted, both HOAT and OAT come in orange colors, so those are the dilemma's.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also point you toward this link in this forum that states Fiat does not use the color dye in the coolant. All very interesting reading on both this post and the link.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,598 Posts

The bigger question is where my dang coolant continues disappearing. It seems that my reservoir drops considerably over say a 2 month span (my jeep is not a daily driver). I'm really at the point of just flushing and refilling for peace of mind, but really need to get around to searching for a tiny leak in my radiator or system. I for sure don't care to go through the effort of flushing and refilling and then realize I have a dumb leak somewhere. I know we have great quality rads to begin with ....so it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
The bigger question is where my dang coolant continues disappearing. It seems that my reservoir drops considerably over say a 2 month span (my jeep is not a daily driver). I'm really at the point of just flushing and refilling for peace of mind, but really need to get around to searching for a tiny leak in my radiator or system. I for sure don't care to go through the effort of flushing and refilling and then realize I have a dumb leak somewhere. I know we have great quality rads to begin with ....so it wouldn't surprise me at all.
other have posted about disappearing coolant with no apparent leaks. I think the majority were fixed by replacing the radiator. I guess you are out of warranty?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
other have posted about disappearing coolant with no apparent leaks. I think the majority were fixed by replacing the radiator. I guess you are out of warranty?
Oh y, warranty is long gone. That's ok though....I'd prefer those fools at the dealership don't touch mine anyhow. LOL. I have seen the recent thread about a tiny leak around the fins. Need to find time to take a solid look at it. Little things keep getting in the way....like installing water softner at home, dealing with dang too lean code on my wife's van, then dumb clothes washer decided it didn't need to use the soap it was being fed. LOL. My troubleshooting laundry list (no pun intended) seems to stay constant!
Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
its funny I can find where the radiator is mentioned in the 5/100000 (2014 warrant) so wonder if it is just under the 3/36K bumper to bumper. Just found this little drop on mine. Wonder if it will be covered or not.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by jadmt
its funny I can find where the radiator is mentioned in the 5/100000 (2014 warrant) so wonder if it is just under the 3/36K bumper to bumper. Just found this little drop on mine. Wonder if it will be covered or not.

Took a second to get orientated on that pic.....it's rotated sideways right? Front axle is running up/down in the pic, placing that drip at the lower corner of the radiator?

I've never seen anything hit the ground, so I presume if i do have a tiny drip somewhere, that it's hitting something and evaporating prior to hitting the ground.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Maybe this is useful. I've been trying to diagnose a heater problem I've been having. Right after I burb and make sure the coolant is topped off, the heat blows out great. Then a couple days later I'm back to luke warm heat blowing out. I'm currently suspecting a small leak somewhere in the system, likely my radiator but not large enough to notice fluid dripping.

Someone else posted this which I thought was pretty helpful, and is where I will be checking next but it's been too cold lately. Maybe you could have the same problem as well with the radiator?

I have the originally factory radiator, 125K miles. I have no complaints with the factory radiator. This is first I've had a potential radiator problem and will likely replace it with the same factory radiator if I do determine it is leaking.

Originally Posted by Chutie
Finding the smell coming from the engine bay took a little time. I first thought it was from the overflow bottle, but I finally took about 2 hours looking and found the leakage.

1. take off the plastic shroud above the radiator (4 plastic push pins)
2. look down the right or left (mine was on the right) side were the side connects to the fins
3. finally saw the little red spots of a leak

Hope this helps someone else

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-10-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:54 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Maybe this is useful. I've been trying to diagnose a heater problem I've been having. Right after I burb and make sure the coolant is topped off, the heat blows out great. Then a couple days later I'm back to luke warm heat blowing out. I'm currently suspecting a small leak somewhere in the system, likely my radiator but not large enough to notice fluid dripping.

Someone else posted this which I thought was pretty helpful, and is where I will be checking next but it's been too cold lately. Maybe you could have the same problem as well with the radiator?

I have the originally factory radiator, 125K miles. I have no complaints with the factory radiator. This is first I've had a potential radiator problem and will likely replace it with the same factory radiator if I do determine it is leaking.
Yup, that is the post I was specifically thinking of after running across it the other week. Maybe I'll run out tonight and take a close look at it.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Took a second to get orientated on that pic.....it's rotated sideways right? Front axle is running up/down in the pic, placing that drip at the lower corner of the radiator?

I've never seen anything hit the ground, so I presume if i do have a tiny drip somewhere, that it's hitting something and evaporating prior to hitting the ground.
yes bottom corner on driver side.

Quick Reply: Engine Coolant Dilemma - Drain and Flush???