Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ESP and a day at the dealer

Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ESP and a day at the dealer

I've never been able to perform the full dissable as mentioned in the owners manual (often called the steering wheel dance), so I brought my early model 2008 JK Rubicon in to the dealer to see what they had to say. At first, I had to convince them that the button on the dash did not fully dissable ESP. I gave them the owners manual and asked them to take a minute to read it. They did, then appologized and admitted that there was a problem with my JK not following the commands to dissable.
They ordered a new PCM to fix the problem. They installed it today and BANG, FIRST TRY- Problem FIXED!
With a smile on my face, I tried to reverse the procedure... NO RESULTS .
As I write this from the dealers waiting room, the mechanic is on the phone with Jeep trying to figure out what's missing... I've been here all day At least the mechanic is doing all he can to figure out what's going on. I praise Poulin Jeep in Rochester NH, but I blame Jeep corp for such a stupid procedure to dissable ESP!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Wow, was building this chart on ESP - then ran across your thread..

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118160
Great chart! I think that's going to help end the confusion between full, partial and dissable.

Here's an update to the story...
The technician at the dealership spoke with someone at Chrysler corporate to try to get some help with the ESP not going back on when the disable procedure is followed again. The guy on the phone told the technician to turn the wheel 1 1/2 turns, not the 1/2 turn as listed in the manual. He pointed out a TSB that addresses the problem. We tried to follow his advice, but had no luck. The ESP is still stuck in the full disable position. Next, the chrysler service operator recommended I check out a website he knew others had gone to for help. What web site? Projectjk.com!!!!!!
I love this web site, but the thought that a Chrysler rep recommended it BECAUSE THE MANUFACTURER HAD NO OTHER INFORMATION ON RESOLVING THE PROBLEM cracks me up!
The dealer mechanic said, "let me get this strait, you want me to tell the customer that he should look to a web site not affiliated with Jeep to get help with this problem, because the users on that web site know more about the Rubicon than the engineers at Jeep do?" THIS IS NUTS!
The Chrysler operator recommended replacing the ABS sensor/unit. Neither the dealer or I believe it's going to help, but we agreed to give it a try. Looks like I'll be spending another day at the dealer when the part comes in.

Is there any other way to get the ESP back on other than repeating the procedure? On the positive side, I got my dealers blessing on adding a toggle switch to eliminate this problem in the future! He said he would look the other way if any problems came up because of it. I can't count on him keeping his word, but after 4 hours of working on the Jeep, I doubt he will forget just how dumb this hole steerig wheel dance realy is!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BEST......

STORY........

EVER.

(well maybe not that good, but it's pretty damn entertaining. Sorry about all your wasted time though.)
Old 02-08-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not to derail the conversation but my dealer also used this site for assistance in fixing my soft top leaks. I suggested a fix that didn't work and the tech found one on here that did.

Hope they figure out what's wrong. Sounds like you've got a good dealer working with you.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

We can laugh about them using the forum as a source of info, but really we need to look at it a different way:

They come up with the ideas, engineers design it, bean counters screw with it, then 100's of union workers assemble it. (not a dig, fact)

Now WE are the people who use it in the real world. We have tons more experience with how it works, what it does, and what it doesn't do than they ever will.

If only they'd listen......
Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Does anyone know of an alternate way to re-enable the esp if the steering wheel dance fails to work? I feel like I climbed down a cliff and now I can't climb back out! I should have done the switch to begin with.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:00 AM
JK Freak

I don't think anyone has suggested disconnecting the battery yet. I don't think this works, but it's what I would try next. And I mean like overnight, not just 10 mins.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:16 AM
JK Junkie

Same problem on my first JK. I wrote a thread about that.
It took me about 2 weeks to be able to disable the ESP, and about 2 hours to enable it

I was pissed off. On my second (actual) JK, it takes 2 minutes to do it,,, no explanation
Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

So there is just two settings on and what 75% off?

Can you do cookies with it turned off,, stock? Or does it kick in?

When I did a test drive the salesmonkey said yes its either all on or all off.... to which I said nothing,, but I remember reading that it is still on some when turned off,,, stock.

I too have this dance to do with my 335 with the toggle stock on the cruise,,, it resets error lights,,, and is very very touchy if you have it pressed for a half second too long,,, most of the time it was a crap shoot. I think I know what your dealing with..............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Your sales guy didn't take the time to read the owners manual for the vehicle he was selling! If he was selling a 2008+ JK, he was wrong. The switch only toggles between two modes of partial off (even tough one is technicaly called full off). There is still a BIG difference between "full off" and "disable", a feature only accessed by the hokie pokie steering wheel dance (unless you do the toggle switch mod). In "disable", the BAS brake assist no longer applies brake preassure to spinning wheels. With the system dissabled, I can spin the tires any time I need wheel speed! It's a great bennifit offroad, I just wish I could get the ESP/BAS settings back for daily driving.

Quick Reply: ESP and a day at the dealer