Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fan trouble. get ride of the Elec fan and replace it with the mechanical fan

Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fan trouble. get ride of the Elec fan and replace it with the mechanical fan

Ok, first off I am one of many that has some sort of fan problem and it is not covered by DC. I want to know if any one has done this yet. I am still in the research phase. I am going to get ride of the Elec fan and replace it with the mechanical fan off a liberty. I have talked with the local service manager and he is interested in it to. As every one knows the JK has alot of room up there. An be for someone says its going to take away power. I know that is a evil i am ready to take on. It is no more of a drain then when the elec fan is running in high with current drawl.

My questions
Will the slip clutch form the liberty fit the JK
Also does the fan shroud fit the close to the same as the jk
Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see this thread, sport-atv put one on his but not sure how good its now working because I saw him after it asking about an aftermarket radiator for more cooling, maybe shoot him a pm or ask in that thread. I'd love to get rid of the crap fan too, I'm on my 3rd.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=61335&page=7
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98jeepboy
Ok, first off I am one of many that has some sort of fan problem and it is not covered by DC. I want to know if any one has done this yet. I am still in the research phase. I am going to get ride of the Elec fan and replace it with the mechanical fan off a liberty. I have talked with the local service manager and he is interested in it to. As every one knows the JK has alot of room up there. An be for someone says its going to take away power. I know that is a evil i am ready to take on. It is no more of a drain then when the elec fan is running in high with current drawl.

My questions
Will the slip clutch form the liberty fit the JK
Also does the fan shroud fit the close to the same as the jk
It seems that it wasn't that long ago that we were all pulling of the mechanical fans and putting electric fans in to get performance and mileage gains. I think you're making a mistake as mechanical fans have their own problems; usually with the fan clutch.

Why don't you look at a higher capacity aftermarket fan and avoid the hastle.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

I've heard Spal makes waterproof fans for motorcycles and vehicles but that dont make one specific for a jeep. I wonder if we could get them to if enough of us email them? OR find one of their universals that would work on our jeeps

spal.com/default.php?t=site&pgid=39
Old 03-03-2009, 02:25 AM
JK Freak

well is there anyway to seal the elec stock fan. that would be the cheapest and better option i think.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is not so much shorting out from water. I does not come on in any other mode then high. The guys at the jeep place say that they ran the test and high is working. I just wanted to strangle him after that. I had told the low was not working at all. 2 hours later, it was dumb luck it started working again. Now it seems to back in high mode only. That link has helped. I really am thinking of doinig that and useing both. I have over heated the trans in mine do to no air flow. Had top and doors off. i know it never came on till DING! An it came on and did not stop for about 15 min. An to the AC it neve cycles and pull air over the Condensor. I posted about this be for.

Last edited by 98jeepboy; 03-03-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 98jeepboy
Mine is not so much shorting out from water. I does not come on in any other mode then high. The guys at the jeep place say that they ran the test and high is working. I just wanted to strangle him after that. I had told the low was not working at all. 2 hours later, it was dumb luck it started working again. Now it seems to back in high mode only. That link has helped. I really am thinking of doinig that and useing both. I have over heated the trans in mine do to no air flow. Had top and doors off. i know it never came on till DING! An it came on and did not stop for about 15 min. An to the AC it neve cycles and pull air over the Condensor. I posted about this be for.
If your fan does NOT kick on High right away when you turn the AC on that is definitely a problem, it MUST ALWAYS be on high if the ac is on. Also when the fan is on low speed you will not hear it like you do with it on high, I used to think mine didnt go on low at all but it does.

If I were you I would take it to a different dealer and get it fixed right.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Just wire a switch to turn it off when crossing water.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by saltman
Just wire a switch to turn it off when crossing water.
That is the correct way to resolve this issue.. So IF you get the Libery fan mounted how are you going to tell the computer that it's not there anymore. This could be monitored by the Canbus System.

Me personally I would never remove my electric fan. to many benefits. ex. when in traffic the electric fan will keep the system cool unlike the clutch fan when the motor is at idle the fan is not really doin much to keep the system cool. Same with crawling rocks you need that fan to keep as much cool air flowing as possible. A Clutch fan just will not be a ble to keep up. Also being that the JK's gauge cluster is limited on temp readings you are taking a huge risk of overheating and not knowing about it till its too late...

As you already know you will be loosing horsepower by doing this as well and that is something the JK's can not afford to loose..

Last edited by whpony96; 03-03-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by whpony96
That is the correct way to resolve this issue.. So IF you get the Libery fan mounted how are you going to tell the computer that it's not there anymore. This could be monitored by the Canbus System.

Me personally I would never remove my electric fan. to many benefits. ex. when in traffic the electric fan will keep the system cool unlike the clutch fan when the motor is at idle the fan is not really doin much to keep the system cool. Same with crawling rocks you need that fan to keep as much cool air flowing as possible. A Clutch fan just will not be a ble to keep up. Also being that the JK's gauge cluster is limited on temp readings you are taking a huge risk of overheating and not knowing about it till its too late...

As you already know you will be loosing horsepower by doing this as well and that is something the JK's can not afford to loose..
If you see post 6, he said he would use both, not sure how that would work. Sport-atv is running both right now, not sure how its working for him.

The OP also said its not from crossing water. I've read his older posts about his fan problems. He really needs to just get the electric fan fixed right by the dealer.

Quick Reply: Fan trouble. get ride of the Elec fan and replace it with the mechanical fan