Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First time door removal

Old 06-05-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time door removal

Have a 2012 JK. I bought a pair of Windshield mounted mirrors from Quadratec. I plan to take my doors off within the next couple of days. Do I need to know anything before and after I take them off? For example, will the car be buzzing at me saying that my door is open? Will the dome light stay on? Etc... Like I mentioned, this is the first time I will be taking my doors off. Ever!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no buzzing or dome light will stay on, when the harness is disconnected in the footwell the jeep will automatically recognize your doors are removed and wont alarm you to the normal door open alerts. and get PB blaster

1) roll your windows down, this way you wont have to worry about breaking them and gives you a handle to carry the doors as they are heavy.
2) unplug the harness in the footwell and unhook the door strap but hold the door so it doesnt fly open and the mirror dent in your hood cowl
3) take the hinge bolt caps off from the underside of the hinges, t40 torx head I believe.
4) get some PB blaster up in the hinge bolts, PB blaster works a lot better then WD40 as it is a penetrating corrosion eater rather then a greaser/lubricant.
5) take the door off. the door will need to be at about a 80-90 degree angle to the Jeep body and slowly work it back and forth 10-15 degrees from 90 while pushing up and holding onto the door. if you do not hold the top of the door you risk dropping the door. The first time it will possibly be very hard to get off. Patience is key. To get mine off the first time (after being on for 3 years never being removed). I sprayed them a lot with PB blaster then sat on my side steps/door well and put my thighs under the door lip and pushed very hard up. got bad bruises but got the door off fast. Then I went to Magnitude Engineering and got some new bushings that dont require greasing and wont fall apart like the Teflon bushings used by Jeep.

Magnitude | Products
Old 06-05-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you disconnect the wire harness for doors it eliminates the buzzing and your dome lights will not illuminate. Enjoy going doorless! Cheers
Old 06-05-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedOffRoad
no buzzing or dome light will stay on, when the harness is disconnected in the footwell the jeep will automatically recognize your doors are removed and wont alarm you to the normal door open alerts. and get PB blaster

1) roll your windows down, this way you wont have to worry about breaking them and gives you a handle to carry the doors as they are heavy.
2) unplug the harness in the footwell and unhook the door strap but hold the door so it doesnt fly open and the mirror dent in your hood cowl
3) take the hinge bolt caps off from the underside of the hinges, t40 torx head I believe.
4) get some PB blaster up in the hinge bolts, PB blaster works a lot better then WD40 as it is a penetrating corrosion eater rather then a greaser/lubricant.
5) take the door off. the door will need to be at about a 80-90 degree angle to the Jeep body and slowly work it back and forth 10-15 degrees from 90 while pushing up and holding onto the door. if you do not hold the top of the door you risk dropping the door. The first time it will possibly be very hard to get off. Patience is key. To get mine off the first time (after being on for 3 years never being removed). I sprayed them a lot with PB blaster then sat on my side steps/door well and put my thighs under the door lip and pushed very hard up. got bad bruises but got the door off fast. Then I went to Magnitude Engineering and got some new bushings that dont require greasing and wont fall apart like the Teflon bushings used by Jeep.

Magnitude | Products
Its a T50...only thing you need a T50 for lol...but what he said to all the other stuff
Old 06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Snowbrder086
Have a 2012 JK. I bought a pair of Windshield mounted mirrors from Quadratec. I plan to take my doors off within the next couple of days. Do I need to know anything before and after I take them off? For example, will the car be buzzing at me saying that my door is open? Will the dome light stay on? Etc... Like I mentioned, this is the first time I will be taking my doors off. Ever!
watch out for dinging the front quarter/hood with the mirror. when you unhook the black strap it can swing forward pretty quickly.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely a T50 head. I bought a dedicated T50 driver for the Jeep doors and keep in glove compartment along with the Flashpaq.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome. Sounds easy enough. Hopefully the weather cooperates the next couple of days. Thanks for everyone's help!!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Snowbrder086
Awesome. Sounds easy enough. Hopefully the weather cooperates the next couple of days. Thanks for everyone's help!!
Keep on mind the need to remove the pillar mounted mirrors prior to replacing the doors.
It's a blast! Mine come off every Friday after work weather permitting. I don't even replace the bolts.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont forget to pay attention the plug connectors for each door. They have a red locking tab that u have to pull out about 1/8 inch to get it to release so u can disconnect the two ends
Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Two things other than what these guys said. First park uphill to avoid the "door ding". Second once you remove those bolts that hold the door to the hinge never put them back on. You can scratch the paint removing and putting them back. Also the door is heavy enough to stay on without them. I've removed mine for two years now without any issues.

Okay I lied one more thing get a good lithium grease and lube the hinges before putting the door back on make the next time a 100x easier!

Quick Reply: First time door removal