Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Freeze plugs.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze plugs.

Anyone ever have one go? I have one on the back of my block above the bell housing going.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think this is were the fluid is coming from I've checked everywhere, heads, intake, heater core and all lines. I get a few drips coming off the bottom of my bell housing. I thought it was tranny oil but then I tasted it. Its definitely coolant. Temp gauge stays in the middle, never overheated.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redrocksteve
I think this is were the fluid is coming from I've checked everywhere, heads, intake, heater core and all lines. I get a few drips coming off the bottom of my bell housing. I thought it was tranny oil but then I tasted it. Its definitely coolant. Temp gauge stays in the middle, never overheated.
just because its still at operating tempreature doesnt mean anything other then the cooling system has not leaked out enough fluid to cause the truck to run hot, buy a cooling system pressure tester and pressurize the system to about 18-20psi and check for leaks. this is the best option if you plan to repair it yourself, that way your not guessing where its coming from. you can also drive the truck for abot 20-30min and then inspect for leaks, the cooling system pressurize itself at this point exposing the leak. remember its best to check when hot since metal expands when heated and contracts when cooled, basicly the leak seals itself when the vehicle cools down so its probably best to check it after an extended drive if you dnt want to spend the coin on a pressure tester. hope this help you track down the problem
Old 04-08-2013, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK_Crawler

just because its still at operating tempreature doesnt mean anything other then the cooling system has not leaked out enough fluid to cause the truck to run hot, buy a cooling system pressure tester and pressurize the system to about 18-20psi and check for leaks. this is the best option if you plan to repair it yourself, that way your not guessing where its coming from. you can also drive the truck for abot 20-30min and then inspect for leaks, the cooling system pressurize itself at this point exposing the leak. remember its best to check when hot since metal expands when heated and contracts when cooled, basicly the leak seals itself when the vehicle cools down so its probably best to check it after an extended drive if you dnt want to spend the coin on a pressure tester. hope this help you track down the problem
Thanks. I'm almost positive its coming from a freeze plug in the block they're behind the bell housing I think, and the coolant is dripping from the weep hole where the housing connects to the tranny. I might have a friend with a pressure tester have to call around and ask. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not a freeze plug I was wrong .... it was the rear of the intake manifold gasket. Waiting to get it back.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

I know this thread is dead probably, but how much coolant was laking? I'm having the same issue with coolant coming off the back of the block and dripping from where engine and transmission mate just about. Its definitely coolant and when I put some pressure on the radiator it comes out faster. Are there freeze plugs on the motor and what is the location of them? if not I guess its intake gasket like you said. thanks
Old 10-09-2022, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

Photos speak best ! late but very clear what is going on.
or here (I have all the photos now) same problems./

Quick Reply: Freeze plugs.