Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front DS - Anyone know what this little ring is???

Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front DS - Anyone know what this little ring is???

While doing some torque checks lastnight, I noticed this little ring on my front driveshaft that is loose. It's a flimsy metal ring that seems to serve no real purpose and it just clanking around (it may be making a tiny, tiny noise)... Anyone know what it is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	9Qflh.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	680166
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

It is the clamp that holds the rubber drive shaft boot in place. Your boot is most likely torn or missing, I see a new drive shaft in your future. If still under warranty, try the dealer.

Last edited by backwoodjk; 11-27-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
It is the clamp that holds the rubber drive shaft boot in place. Your boot is most likely torn or missing, I see a new drive shaft in your future. If still under warranty, try the dealer.
I see one in my future too, but I was hoping to wait another year! Thanks, I'll have to take a look at the boot. I'm only running a 2.5" lift w/ 33's, so I didn't anticipate any DS issues, hmm.... I doubt the dealer will help me out one bit due to the "extreme" mods
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

I have seen many like new factory shafts on Craigslist. Also try any shops close by that modify new wranglers, might get one in new condition really cheap.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Do you have a 2 door or 4 door?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by just JK'n
Do you have a 2 door or 4 door?
4 door. I've seen a lot of good deals on factory take-offs on CL and on here, so it shouldn't be too too bad if it does indeed need replacement.

I'm a little doubtful on the shaft actually being shot though. It doesn't make noise (other than possibly a tiny, barely noticeable sound from the loose ring moving around).

I'll have a pic of the T-case end of the shaft up in a second, hopefully that'll help...
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a pic I just took. It looks like that ring just slipped off this little piece of rubber. Hopefully this helps:

Click image for larger version

Name:	OOZ6o.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	680165

Does that change the diagnosis? Wondering if I can get away with just putting a new ring on there... The boot doesn't seem to be torn up at all.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

If the grease did not fling out, or get contaminated with dirt it should be good. I would probably add a little grease, and try re-clamping the boot.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
If the grease did not fling out, or get contaminated with dirt it should be good. I would probably add a little grease, and try re-clamping the boot.
I didn't notice any grease on the undercarriage, etc, but I'll take a closer look.

If there is a DS issue, is the most major risk just that the DS needs replacement? Or can a DS issue blow your tranny, etc? If there is a major risk or catastrophic loss, I'll take it to get looked at.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the clamp with a new OEM one. You'll need a set of clamping pliers to clamp it tight. If you use a large screw-type clamp, it will cause a little imbalance in your shaft.

Quick Reply: Front DS - Anyone know what this little ring is???