Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

front end parts upgrade?

Old 03-23-2015, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end parts upgrade?

My 08 JKU has 94000mi now. I just started to get the death wobble a few times so its time to get some new parts for the front end. I looked and it looks like my drag link is really loose and needs new tie rod ends. Going to check the ball joints tomorrow. I don't really do any off road driving currently but would like to eventually. I am thinking of getting a small budget lift and 33's.

I am trying to figure out what to get for replacement parts. With mainly street driving would I see any benefit to getting a synergy drag link and ball joints over the stock replacement parts from autozone or oreilys? I have ordered the synergy bolt kit for the lower control arms and traction bar which I plan to swap out this week.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say put the bolt kit on asap and torque everything properly. You might find it fixes all your issues. Synergy ball joints are awesome so I'd just spend a little extra money and go with them. Also compare cost of a synergy drag link to a new stock draglink. Might be worth getting the better product.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed with DB.. Unless you have 2K - 4K to blow, do the grade 8's and stabilizer first. Because we've already done the same thing.. Over time adding new upgrades based on disability and necessary. The front end Grade 8's and new beefier Stabilizer.. Which has stiffened up the front end significantly, but may not have corrected the DW permanently. The Greasable ball joints are next, along with new rotors and pads.

GL with your DW..
Old 03-24-2015, 01:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would replace all joints and ends etc with napa gold units. I have that done in my Jeep. What a difference in strength, and build quality. They are greaseable, all stintered metal build, and best part have a lifetime warranty. I have a crap load of miles on my rig with the Napa gold front end parts and all are solid and tight. There are napa stores everywhere and service is fast and efficient.

I agree with going to the Grade 8 bolt kit too. that makes a difference as well. I need to get that done ASAP.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Spend the money for a high end stabilizer I went through 4 pro comps b4 I got the bilstin one and it has lasted 50k
Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

High end stabilizers only put a bandaid on the real issue. If everything in front end is setup properly then you don't even need a stabilizer. My stabilizer is shot and really doesn't even work and I have no issues. Stabilizers aren't the cause of or the solution of death wobble. It's almost always the tracbar, tracbar mounts, or tracbar not properly torqued. Could be a combo of things. What I mean by tracbar is the bushings or joints are shot or the sleeve in the joints are ovaled or wollowed out due to improper torque or other factors. Save the money from a high end bandaid (stabilizer) and figure out the real issue first. Use that saved money on parts that you will benefit a lot more from.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know my drag link is bad. I disconnected the stabilizer and had the wheel turned back and forth. There drag link is loose and makes a clunking sound. I am going to check the ball joints tonight and see if those need replaced. The track bar looks to be solid but I did purchase the synergy bolt kit to replace those. Once I get the bolts undone I will look and see if the bushings look shot. I will order the drag link and stabilizer tonight and possibly the ball joints depending on the out come of those. Is there anything else that could affect the front death wobble issue. Tie rods don't look bad yet I don't think.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

checked out the ball joints and they are bad also. I ended up purchasing Synergy drag link, synergy ball joints, synergy bolt kit, new polyurethane bushings for the track bar, lower control arms and sway bar. I will be replacing all this next week or weekend after it shows up in the mail.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blacklock
checked out the ball joints and they are bad also. I ended up purchasing Synergy drag link, synergy ball joints, synergy bolt kit, new polyurethane bushings for the track bar, lower control arms and sway bar. I will be replacing all this next week or weekend after it shows up in the mail.
Why a sway bar? You should be good to go after all that. Lol
Old 03-24-2015, 11:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Although I've admitted that we've done the Grade 8's and the stabilizer.. this is not the final fix/result.. I've just ordered the Moog ball joints.. and because I did not like this test run of the Skyjacker shocks.. these are coming off and I'll replace them with KYB shocks. So at the time of Skyjacker shock removal, I'll post these as freebies if someone wants them. I wasn't impressed.

Quick Reply: front end parts upgrade?