Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas tank overfill (video and pics)

Old 12-07-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Chrysler called me back today and I have a appt with the a dealer near me. Shawn from Chrysler called the dealer first and spoke with the service manager and they are going to look at the Jeep Friday ( earliest I could make it ). They want to make sure the tank is not damaged from off roading...the skid plate has some scrapes no dents. Shawn said that it helps for a NO WARRANTY vehicle to have a good standing with a dealer. I bought my Caravan from this dealer and I take it there for services...hope this helps a lot. I will keep everyone posted....
Old 12-08-2010, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same problem every time I fill up. 2007
Old 12-11-2010, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

I have 07 JK 2dr w 70k miles. Filled up yesterday and got gas bath. This is the first time. I was pissed! Checked the forum and found this thread.....I'm glad to know others have this issue. Making calls and filing report today. Out of warranty though. I have a feeling this will take a lot of my time and $$.

Thanks to all!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Exclamation Gas tank overfill

I own a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and I had the same problem. Finally got the dealer to admit it was the float in the tank and they had to replace the whole tank. It was under warranty but had to pay deductable of 100 dollars. This is a problem with a lot of jeeps and should be a recall.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MCwired
I have 07 JK 2dr w 70k miles. Filled up yesterday and got gas bath. This is the first time. I was pissed! Checked the forum and found this thread.....I'm glad to know others have this issue. Making calls and filing report today. Out of warranty though. I have a feeling this will take a lot of my time and $$.

Thanks to all!
If it was my Jeep and out of warranty, I wouldn't spend a dime on this. Just shut the pump off before the tank gets completely full. Not that big a deal.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by johnr41a
If it was my Jeep and out of warranty, I wouldn't spend a dime on this. Just shut the pump off before the tank gets completely full. Not that big a deal.
Very realistic! I could spend time and money on mods. However, I was pissed off when it happend. WTF with this saftey issue. Guess I'll stand to side and pump slowly.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MCwired
Very realistic! I could spend time and money on mods. However, I was pissed off when it happend. WTF with this saftey issue. Guess I'll stand to side and pump slowly.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd be extremely pissed, too.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default update

My wife took the Jeep in on Friday for them to look at it... the said they will replace the "Fuel filler tube and vapor recirculation tube. This is going to be free of charge even without a warranty... I had my wife mention that the gas tank is the issue but they don't think so. I have been dealing with Shawn at Chrysler and even mentioned to him that it should be the tank. We decided to let the dealer install the parts ( they had to order them ) in a couple weeks and see if that works. I will keep you guys updated as this problem gets resolved.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2008 Sahara and it only does the gas puke when it gets cold. it started last winter and once the temperature came up in the spring it stopped. No issue all summer. It is 40 degrees here in north texas today. Just filled up and had it on the slow fill setting. Stll puked out 3 or 4 ounces. Not sure why it has to do with it being cold, but it does sem to be cold related. What part in the gas tank would be sensitive to cold or cold fuel?

Ron
Old 12-12-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 2008 does it every time. I just fill up when the gas light comes on, and stop at 18 gallons now.

Quick Reply: Gas tank overfill (video and pics)