Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas tank overfill (video and pics)

Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the letter too. Lifetime warranty on refueling issue regardless of owner, miles, or age, or the number of times they replace the tank and check valve. My jeep has 101,000 miles and does it. They might replace the tank and 30,000 miles later they might have to replace it again.

I do agree compliments to Chrysler, however, it must be noted that Chrysler denied repairing the condition despite communication with the local dealer and customer service.....stating that my jeep had too many miles.

I am hopeful that this will be addressed and corrected for all applicable vehicles before someone gets hurt.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

my jeep does it too. i thought it was just me.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
can someone explain the TSB? I called my dealer today and they said that it was a TSB and it meant nothing in terms of being covered? I have an '07 (build date 6/07) with 38k miles.. been doing this for 4 months..
I am a little confused too.
I thought a TSB just says there IS a
Problem, but the JK owner will still have
To pay for repairs??
A RECALL is issued by the company (after they get enough complaints from NHTSA)
And the owner will NOT have to pay anything?

Now if the problem item is still covered
Under some warranty (orig or extended)
It may be covered, or like myself, may have to pay just a deductible?

I think that new extended warranty on the
Gas tank came out Fev. 15, 2011? So any
Repairs made AFTER that date may be covered?

Somebody help me out to make sure
I get it correct?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got my recall notice yesterday in the mail for this.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like I have said in other threads, I contacted them twice by phone and got the same you are not covered answer. I wrote to Chrysler asking why not and we will see what the answer is. I can't believe that they are just using a few build dates to cover the mess. Maybe it's time that some mail is sent to the persons at the top asking why we are not being taken care of. Up until this I have been very happy with the service provided by Jeep, I have owned three and like I said up until now the company has taken care of any problems that have come up..
Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just got my letter in the mail yesterday. Called up the local dearlership today and they were not aware of this until I gave them the TSB number. The dealer said it's not an actual recall, but said that it is covered under this extended warranty and that it will not cost me anything. They said I will have to have the whole fuel tank replaced and that it can take several days. My appt is next Thurs-Friday hopefully this problem will be fixed.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone having this issue should check out the TSB thread on tank replacement. It states there is a back flow preventor located inside the gas tank. Probably right in front of the fuel pump, that has been malfunctioning. Replacing the tank replaces the BFP.
If you have replaced your tank you are do re-imbursement from the manufacturer.
If your tank needs replaced, it will be done at no cost to the owner. But your rig will be down for at least two days.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Got mine replaced a couple of days ago dropped it off in the morning and it was done by lunch and no more fuel spitting back so far but thats only filling up once. Hopefully it will stay this way
Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did call my Case Worker at Chrysler and complain because the dealer would not refund the $119.38 I paid them the week before, for an Evap Valve they
installed, because they thought that was the problem (but it wasn't)
The dealer gave some goofy reason why they couldn't.

My Chrysler case worker did explain that the dealer can't just put on a new tank right from the start, they must do some testing and diagnostics first,
but, she did feel bad that I had to pay $119.38 and that did not fix the problem,

Soooooooo, she said, out of Chrysler's hopes to maintain good customer service, and, in hopes of keeping us coming back for future Chrysler/Jeep purchases,
she gave me the address of Chryslers Customer Assistance Center in Michigan, and said to mail in a copy of that bill, and a copy of the receipt from my Visa card,
AND, Chrysler WILL REFUND MY $119.38
Wow, I about fell out of my chair!! So there is hope yet for JK owners with this problem, and for loyal Chrysler and Jeep owners!!

WELL, I got my check for $119.38 from Chrysler in the mail Tuesday!! WOW
I called my case worker to close out my case. It took a few extra steps, but I got my new gas tank and no more overflow!
I thanked my caseworker for sending that check, and closed my case and went to the bank and cashed my check ( & it didn't bounce) LOL
Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Add me to the list of victim of overflow.

Quick Reply: Gas tank overfill (video and pics)