Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas tank overfill (video and pics)

Old 12-15-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spill a gallon

I'm going to take one for the team and light my Jeep on fire next fill up so that Jeep understands this is a safety issue.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

I have a appt to take the Jeep in on Thursday ( parts are in ). Shawn from Chrysler has been very helpful and concerned that this get fixed. He even called me before the dealer did to let me know the parts were in. I explained that this might not fix the issue after reading that the tank seems to be the problem and said we will try this first and then go from there. I will keep updating as I go...
Old 12-20-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

I used to get a little spit back when topping off the tank. Now I fill on the slowest setting and stop when it clicks off. No problem since I started doing that. It is a 2009 2Dr.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Just got my Jeep back from the dealer today...they installed the filler tube and vent line. I filled up today with the auto set on the nozzle ( on slow ) and it did not spill today. I will try it on a faster setting next time just to see if it is really fixed or not. The dealer took about 5 hours to install the parts and I did not have to pay for anything! Chysler ( Shawn ) has been very helpful on resolving this issue. Ohh, and I do not have a warranty on my Jeep.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

My jeep is having this problem now. I took it to the dealership this week. They ordered me a new tank and accessories. Hopefully this fixes the problems.

2008 JKU
28000 miles
Old 12-25-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this an 08 thing?

Mine has been doing it for a while. My dealer says I have a broken back flow valve. They say they need to replace the whole tank but this seems like it might becoming a recall thing.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dozerdriver
Just got my Jeep back from the dealer today...they installed the filler tube and vent line. I filled up today with the auto set on the nozzle ( on slow ) and it did not spill today. I will try it on a faster setting next time just to see if it is really fixed or not. The dealer took about 5 hours to install the parts and I did not have to pay for anything! Chysler ( Shawn ) has been very helpful on resolving this issue. Ohh, and I do not have a warranty on my Jeep.
This issue started with my 08 Unlimited about a month ago. It has 55,000 miles but really should be a recall. If everyone who has this issue calls Chrystler and files a quick 5 minute complaint on the NHTSA website (you can search for the issue and copy and paste it into your complaint) Chrystler may issue a recall and that would save all of us $580+ ... that we can put towards mods! Also, Chrystler has been pretty good to work with as they are calling the dealer about the issue. They also have approved a fix for the corroded door hinges - i'm very happy with the way they are handling the issue and it's just another reason I'm a lifelong Jeep customer!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an 08 and its happened to me three times now
Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Ok..the filler tube and vent line that was replaced did not fix this issue. Chrysler ( Shawn ) is still working with me on this issue. I have the dealer ordering a new fuel tank and they will call me when it comes in. So far this hasn't cost me anything and I do not have any warranty on my Jeep. I will keep posting on my progress through Chrysler...
Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dozerdriver
Ok..the filler tube and vent line that was replaced did not fix this issue. Chrysler ( Shawn ) is still working with me on this issue. I have the dealer ordering a new fuel tank and they will call me when it comes in. So far this hasn't cost me anything and I do not have any warranty on my Jeep. I will keep posting on my progress through Chrysler...
Hi Dozer - keep us posted. I also had to have the tank replaced but am trying to get some reimbursement from Chrysler as it is a safety issue. I am still working with Chrysler on the issue. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Gas tank overfill (video and pics)