Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas tank overfill (video and pics)

Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I called the dealership today and told them i was having the same problem. They said my Jeep wasnt part of the recall, but that i should call Chrysler and maybe I could get some relief. When i call Chrysler I was shut down quickly and told that my Jeep didnt qualify and they wouldnt do anyhing about it. My question is does my 2007 Jeep not have the exact same fuel tank as the ones affected? I am having the exact same problem. How can they say its a problem with those and not with mine? Anyway the chick got a little huffy on the phone when i asked to speak to a supervisor. I got the noone is available and they will call you within one or two days. I got a case number and herr name. The saga begins.

On a side note will this cure my internittent gascap light and small evap leak code?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tank Fixed the problem

My fuel tank was replaced and I filled it out and it didn't leak!

According to the paperwork, TSB 14-001-11 was performed.

Previously, they did something else and that also fixed the problem, but it started overflowing again. Then, I got a letter from Chrysler that my Jeep will be covered for lifetime on this issue, so I brought it in and they fixed it for free.

Everyone who is having this problem should be fixed for free!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

My appointment is set for Monday .... New tank !! And o-ring
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 AM
JK Freak

does replacing the tank fix the problem in most cases? after a quick google of "gas overflow at the pump" i found that its not only jeeps but all kinds of cars exhibiting the same problem, although maybe not every time, like some here. while i don't experience this on fill up, it does happen to me every time i try to top off, so i don't top off anymore. also, the auto shut off is in the pump right? it seems possible to me that there are just that many pumps that are faulty, broken, not calibrated right, however you want to say it, which is causing the gas overflow on all types of cars. i will also say that the problem could be exacerbated by a design flaw in the filler tube/tank of JK's.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CreepyJeeper
does replacing the tank fix the problem in most cases? after a quick google of "gas overflow at the pump" i found that its not only jeeps but all kinds of cars exhibiting the same problem, although maybe not every time, like some here. while i don't experience this on fill up, it does happen to me every time i try to top off, so i don't top off anymore. also, the auto shut off is in the pump right? it seems possible to me that there are just that many pumps that are faulty, broken, not calibrated right, however you want to say it, which is causing the gas overflow on all types of cars. i will also say that the problem could be exacerbated by a design flaw in the filler tube/tank of JK's.
Just had my tank replaced yesterday with zero cost to me. Thanks Chrysler. I tanked up immediately after the new tank was installed and I did not experience over flow. The instance of Jeeps over flowing is definitely a faulty tank. I can't speak for other vehicles but I would imagine many instances of user error come into play. Gas stations have "DO NOT top off" plastered everywhere for a reason. Auto shutoff is a safety mechanism and really shouldn't be relied upon to fill your tank.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CreepyJeeper

It fixed my overflow issue - well, at least it postponed it another 30,000 miles when the check valve fails again
Old 04-22-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everyone talks about the 30K mark for it to start. I bought mine with 19K on it and got my first gassing at the pump across the street from the dealer. Took it right back over there and told them. The service guy told me there had been a lot of complaints and said it wouldn't be long till Chrysler did something about it. I really like my jk so I didn't make too much of a stink about it, but here we are with an extended warranty on the tank. They purchased my next tank for me for the trouble of leaving the dealership and coming right back 10 minutes later. Which I politely filled up with 93 octane and the service department refunded the total amount in cash upon presenting the receipt.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

This happened so much on my 2006 LJ I got really good at listening to the noise and could stop it with just a few drips overflowing.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

Dang. if it happened that often to me, i would do what some of the others have mentioned and just fill to 3/4 tank from empty...
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default gas overflow

I had this problem with my 09 Wrangler. The problem is a vent tube stuck open. No back pressure felt by gas pump = fuel all over Jeep. My dealer had to install a new gas tank. It took them about two hours. No more problem. On some years Jeep has extended the warranty to cover the tank.

Quick Reply: Gas tank overfill (video and pics)