Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas tank overfill (video and pics)

Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this problem is now a Recall item! i just got a letter in the mail. i have an '07 jk same as yours.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2012 Wrangler that has spit fuel back at me several times while filling....just got off the phone with my local service department and they say they have not had any previous reports of this issue. Anyone hearing different? My dealership is really good (very mod friendly) said "bring it in and we will experiment, if nothing else we will have it on record as an issue so if something comes out later you will be covered."

Just wondering what to expect.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this fixed once already on the Jeep and it is happening again... guess its time for another trip to the stealer...
Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 13' and this has happened to me several times already. Would love to know if this is fixable
Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Goto ur dealer and tell them... They will replace ur filler neck hose and BAM! Problem solved! My 2010 JKU Rubicon did it (only after getting stuck window deep in water) dealer replaced the hose and THAT problem stopped.... Free.... O and I also got a new Evap sys and brand new gas tank for free to

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jmpett31
I have a 2012 Wrangler that has spit fuel back at me several times while filling....just got off the phone with my local service department and they say they have not had any previous reports of this issue. Anyone hearing different? My dealership is really good (very mod friendly) said "bring it in and we will experiment, if nothing else we will have it on record as an issue so if something comes out later you will be covered."

Just wondering what to expect.
My 2012 has been doing it every time time now when I fill up. It started about the first week of march.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 08. Same issue and with a recall repair on the tank it worked for a while. This is the answer- If you are totally empty or close, put 18 gallons in the tank and then turn off the pump at the handle. Then you have to burp the tank! Like a baby by breaking the emissions seal on the fuel hose. Slightly pull the hose out. Once you do this you can top off the tank and the pump will turn off the way it us supposed to work. You should not have gas running all over your paint.

I got tired of dealing with plastic parts that fail! It may take another 10 seconds to fill up, but I don't have to clean up a fuel spill.

Try it and see if it works for you. It's a jeep! Be thankful that you are not driving a KIA.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by wildwoodjk
I have a 08. Same issue and with a recall repair on the tank it worked for a while. This is the answer- If you are totally empty or close, put 18 gallons in the tank and then turn off the pump at the handle. Then you have to burp the tank! Like a baby by breaking the emissions seal on the fuel hose. Slightly pull the hose out. Once you do this you can top off the tank and the pump will turn off the way it us supposed to work. You should not have gas running all over your paint.

I got tired of dealing with plastic parts that fail! It may take another 10 seconds to fill up, but I don't have to clean up a fuel spill.

Try it and see if it works for you. It's a jeep! Be thankful that you are not driving a KIA.
When you had yours fixed, did they replace the entire tank? If so, it still has the old fill tube that goes to the tank.
The new tube has a check valve in it. If yours was covered under the extended warranty for this issue (extended to 70,000 miles), you still qualify for the new fill tube with the check valve. That's all they replace now, rather than the entire tank as they did on mine.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

I will have the dealer check this. Thanks for the info. I only have 60K and have the new tank.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got my 2011 2DR looked at by the dealership, will have a new tank installed in a week or so. They claim the ball in the tank isn't functioning properly while filling up. Btw, this is the ball that prevents fuel spills if the tank is inverted.

I'll reply back with the findings after the new tank is in.

Quick Reply: Gas tank overfill (video and pics)