Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Have a lifetime warranty? Check with dealer before the 5 yr inspection

Old 08-30-2016, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Have a lifetime warranty? Check with dealer before the 5 yr inspection

I'm coming up on the 5 year anniversary date of the purchase of my '12 JKUR, for which I purchased the lifetime warranty; so it's time for the inspection. I was near a local dealer, so thought I'd be proactive and speak with a service writer about what's involved. I asked him if the installation of a TF leveling kit would affect the warranty, and without missing a beat, he told me they would void the warranty. Needless to say, I didn't make an appointment with them.

Tried another dealer, and got the qualified answer that "he'd have to see the lift before telling me whether there was a problem or not."

I think it will probably turn out alright, but I'd like to hear from others whether you've been surprised by the cancellation of your lifetime warranty after the 5 year inspection.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I also have the lifetime warranty. Are you 100% certain you need to do the 5yr inspection? I do not recall seeing that in my contract. I know that was true in the earlier years when Chrysler gave the warranty with every vehicle, but did not think it applies to the lifetime max care that is purchased in. 2012. I'm coming up on my 5 yr in February.
Follow up. I've just done some quick research. Most are saying that the lifetime maxcare does not specify a required inspection. This was only true of the warranty given to all in the 2007-2009 yrs. I would not believe the dealer since most are liars. They may say it needs to come in so they can find things to charge you for like a $100 cabin air filter, $300 diff fluid change, or $450 intake system cleaning.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 08-31-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't recall my contract saying anything about checkups either. I'll double check tonight.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you do searches, you'll find lots and lots of posts from people who had their 5 year warranty voided because they missed the 60 day window for having the inspection done, but based on rob_engineer's post, I'm going to investigate further as my paper copy of the warranty doesn't mention inspection.
Yes, it is bumper to bumper, with the usual exceptions of brakes, clutch, etc.

Last edited by Grand Umpah; 08-31-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
If you do searches, you'll find lots and lots of posts from people who had their 5 year warranty voided because they missed the 60 day window for having the inspection done, but based on rob_engineer's post, I'm going to investigate further as my paper copy of the warranty doesn't mention inspection. Yes, it is bumper to bumper, with the usual exceptions of brakes, clutch, etc.
I'll try to review my policy tonight. I assume there also would be a phone number to call the warranty people directly instead of asking the dealer.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I have life time powertrain care and i called

The chrysler warranty dept. telephone # on my contract , as paper work did not mention of any inspection, They told me No inspection was required on my 2012 . However to check with the dealership to make sure they dont require any . So i called the dealership where i bought my vehicle and spoke to warranty dept and was transfered to the service writer . He said no inspection is required . Thats what they said about mine. I documented time and date i spoke to them about this . (Strange)
because i was under the assumption you had to go in within 60 day period as others had mentioned in other threads ive read here. It dosent matter really to me ive maintained my jeep anyway but i made the proper calls to them regarding the matter. If it was in writing and or said that it was required then id have made arrangements to scheduled one, but its not in my contract . Unless its some type of Scam , im going with what i was told by the Chrysler group service Contract Dept. and the written contract and phone conversation to the dealership.

Last edited by jeepmojo; 08-31-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recall reading similar posts too awhile ago. But when I moved and hooked up with my local dealer I asked about an inspection at some point and he said he wasn't aware of any inspections. Looked over my original contract and couldn't find anything either. So I am going on the assumption that no inspection needed.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5-year inspection (and it is every 5 years not just once) is for the Jeeps in late 2007, 2008 and early 2009 that came with a lifetime warranty from Chrysler as part of the vehicle. This warranty is non transferral so only the original owners still have them.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

It's only for the lifetime powertrain warranty that came with 07-09 jks. With max care, you paid for it. Not required for a checkup.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 5 year mark on my calendar from when I received the notice regarding the head issue. Pollard Jeep in Boulder, CO. Lift friendly (as with all jeep dealers here) and they knew of the 5 year inspection. Got inspected, cylinder compression test passed, replaced my front drive shaft under warranty and I'm good to the 150k mile mark and 10 years on the engine.

Quick Reply: Have a lifetime warranty? Check with dealer before the 5 yr inspection