Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Rear locker won't disengage.

Old 01-08-2023, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorne Hood
I have manually disengaged my rear diff as stated above. Lights are off on dash but the locker is still engaged. Has anyone else had this happen? does anyone know of a fix ? at least to get unlocked to make drivable.
Sounds like the wave spring is not separating the dog clutch. I've had a stuck locker like this before. You might try jacking up the rear end, you spin one tire back and forth and have a helper do the same on the other tire. Sometimes you can get it to disengage. If that doesn't work you might be looking at pulling the diff cover off so you can get better access at working on the dog clutch to get it to separate.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done all the wheel movement stuff both jacked up and driving.
the clutch is differently not disengaging. I already have cover off as this happened before but was able to get it disengaged just by pushing the ring to passenger side. Not this time.

Can you tell me more about the "wave spring" (picture) do these break or just loose the "spring" and no longer pull the cogs/clutch apart? If i do get it to seperate with the spring broke will it stay disengaged? Carrier needs to come out guessing to replace.? can they be replaced? or switch out Locker to better.

don't really have time or $$ budget to pull/replace now. Hoping I can get it to disengage and stay disengaged.
thx
Old 01-09-2023, 04:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Here is a link to ronjenx's locker study so you can see the locker disassembled -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-263666/

Once power to the magnet is killed, the wave spring should separate the dog clutch. If it is not, it is likely just worn spring, and that is not a replaceable part. When I had this issue I fiddled with it a good bit with the cover off. I had gotten to a point that it would get stuck engaged every time. I removed the carrier, cleaned the heck out of everything, and tested things on the bench and it would disengage just fine....every time. I reinstalled hoping things would be ok, but nope. Once everything was back together it failed to disengage again. . I had a friend that donated a rubi locker to me he wasn't using and I moved forward with that until I did my last axle swap up to a PR60 rear.

If you've already upgraded your rear axle shafts to chromoly, the thing that really stinks is you won't find any other 32-spline lockers out there so you'd have to move up to 35-spline and get new shafts as well.

Quick Reply: Help! Rear locker won't disengage.