Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How common is the door handle/dash drip?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How common is the door handle/dash leak?

Hey guys,

Just bought me a 2007 Sahara JK about a month ago and love it! I used to have a TJ a couple of years ago, but thanks to some drunk driver in a stolen car, it is no more... so I finally bit the bullet and got me a JK. I love everything about it except...

I have the common problem with the water leak above the driver and passenger doors. I took it to a local auto trim place here in Chattanooga and they tried several different remedies like putting foam behind the door seals to push them further out, adjusted my top a little, and some other minor foam fixes but didn't have any luck fixing the problem. I took it there about 5 times, and the guy finally said there was nothing else to do and that it was a design flaw with the JKs.

After the 5th time I picked it up, he said he didn't know anything else to try. I took him a copy of the JKLeaks.pdf file I found but nothing seemed to work. So, I thought I'd give the dealership a try.

The first time to the Jeep dealer, they added more foam and said they water tested it. They charged me $138 for mainly labor and for some cheap foam pieces they added. They gave me the keys and when I got in, it was wet on the door handles and the drivers seat as it was before. I went back inside and they said it was from where they had water tested it the first time, so I took it home and guess what... leaked just as much as before. So I called and took it back in for the 2nd time, and they said that I would need a new header seal across the windshield, but I would have to come back the following week to get it installed for $179. I took it in and they replaced it, water tested it, and it didn't leak! So I was happy and drove it home. Just the other day we had some heavier rain and my dash, door handle, and seat were soaked. Now I have another appointment next week to have them look at it again :( .

So my question is, how common is this problem? Do all JK owners have this leak? Those who did and got rid of it, what worked for you? The only thing I haven't replaced yet is the rubber seal on the door, but it looks in pristine condition. I searched the forums and found a few people with the same leak, but just wanted to know if this happened to everyone or just a "lucky" few... lol. If it is common, what can you do about it? Should I just keep taking it to the dealership or is it a waste of time and money?

I ordered a new Besttop soft top today in hopes that it helps out. My top is a little worn (which I don't understand why because it's only 3 years old) and has a few little holes that leaked. I don't understand how this is such a problem since my TJ never ever had leaks.

Last edited by jkchr1s; 03-12-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same leaks...getting them fixed doesn't seem possible in the near or far future...I took out my carpets and installed the rubber/plastic floor liners.
My Jeep is even under warranty...I just hate taking it in to a dealer knowing they don't care about "really" solving the problem. They just throw random possible fixes at the problem, hoping for a solution, without even trying to trace the source of the leak. It comes from the top of the A-pillar and I believe the header gasket/seal. I has nothing to do with the door seals in my case anyway...terrible design and non caring dealer service techs...
Old 03-12-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is common..This seems to be the fix. Solved my leaks !!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=softop+fix

Last edited by jeepmedic; 03-12-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks dude! I hadn't run across that one yet.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

good luck dude. Im going through that same shit now. Sucks you have to pay and its not under warranty. So far, we have put a new header AND gasket and its still leaking over my driver side door. Passenger door leak seems resolved. Im bring it back on monday to replace a vertical side bar on the drivers side of the soft top. They also are going to be doing a bit of body work as they dented and chipped the paint of my window frame. I have a thread started with pics... its called "my problems... if you care." Check it out and good luck dude.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

While this isn't a solution -

I only run the soft top in the summer months. If it rains, oh well. "Get used to it." I run my hard top 7-8 months out of the year.

I might invest in a new soft top down the road ... but for me, a little bit of water doesn't hurt. It's not like it's a submarine!

But I agree - I've heard the TJ's didn't leak (I never owned one, so I can't confirm) so it does suck that you got a newer Jeep and it has a problem that you've never encountered before in Wranglerland.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

never had the problem on my passenger side only my driver and only happened 3 or 4 times certainly not every time it rains.... there was a tsb on the 07's for a-pillar leak onto door handle area which just added some rubber foam to the area (you've probably already had that done with all your trips for repair however) .... the worst for me is the waterfall when you actually open the door but I'm going to try the weatherstripping method in one of the links above that looks like it should be enough to keep the water out... good luck with your issues
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.... but it is extremely unlikely that the new top will fix the problem. The problem has little to nothing to do with the top. It is how the header directs water towards the crappy foam gap area where the door meets the windshield. If you have a leaker, it is probably going to be a leaker for life. Pretty much anything will make it worse.

They never should have moved the top from on top of the windshield and curved the windshield. Or if they did at least they should have designed a system that worked.

It's been a little while since I lemoned my 07 and I don't remember the exact numbers anymore. (had many other issues also) but the lawyer that did it says she did something like 12 Wranglers a week. Think of that.

My 09 replacement is even worse than the 07 by a factor of 4 to 5.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Are there any aftermarket tops that have the top hang over the windshield like the TJ? I'm pretty sure the Besttop that I just ordered is the same stupid design as what I have, why anyone thought it would be a good idea to put a gutter there is beyond me. But mine was also leaking at the seam above the sound bar. You used to be able to see daylight through all of the stitch holes but I took it to a shop and had them silicone and restitch that seam. It held up for a couple of weeks, but started leaking again soon after. I wouldn't mind if it got wet every once and a while but I'm afraid it will eventually start to mold/stink or mess up the electronics. I'd like to find the engineer who thought of the whole gutter drainage system and kick him square in the nuts!

So you're saying if I got a hard top it might help? Does it hang over the windshield or have a gap with the little gutter like the soft top? Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket hard top? I've heard horror stories about the freedom tops and don't think I want to go OEM. I had a CJ5 and a TJ, but none have ever had a hard top so please forgive my ignorance ;P
Old 03-13-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EyeDoc
never had the problem on my passenger side only my driver and only happened 3 or 4 times certainly not every time it rains.... there was a tsb on the 07's for a-pillar leak onto door handle area which just added some rubber foam to the area (you've probably already had that done with all your trips for repair however) .... the worst for me is the waterfall when you actually open the door but I'm going to try the weatherstripping method in one of the links above that looks like it should be enough to keep the water out... good luck with your issues
lol yeah mine used to be only the driver's side, but thanks to my new header seal I now have a leak on both sides. Ughhhhhh!

Quick Reply: How common is the door handle/dash drip?