Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How common is the door handle/dash drip?

Old 03-13-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kept snooping around the weatherstripping on the door jam and found that my passenger side was not the same as the driver side. It had slid down slightly and didnt seat like the drivers side. I stretched back where it should have been and applied a little adhesive and the water runs where it should on the outside of the door.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been through all the fixes and can tell you that as mentioned, this is the header seal causing the problem. Most dealers don't pay attention to the tape seal on the header when replacing them and they end up leaking worse. Water ends up on the dash and dripping down the doors into the little storage bins.

Here is the fix, it has been posted here before with pics.

Remove the panels or top, depending upon what you have. Take a plastic tool such as a window gasket knife and peel back the header seal where it sort of lays on top of the frame toward the front of the windshield. Make certain it is dry in there and then fill the space with silicon.

I identified the areas where the dealer left the butyl tape gaps in advance and made certain I put extra sealant into those areas too. This, after three header replacements on mine, makes a person wonder. Replace the panels or top and if you can, let it bake in the sun a few hours to dry.

That will be the end of leaks from the header seal.

Good luck and God Bless!
Old 03-14-2010, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Very very common (see below)

so much so that the factory has a 144 page leak repair manual to address the myriad of causes.

wkjeeps.com/misc/Wrangler/JK_Water_Leaks_All.pdf

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-14-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: removed hyperlink
Old 03-14-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I just got my 08 back from the dealer they replaced my rear hardtop under warranty for the stress cracks at the bolt holes But now I have a damn leak I go thru the wash and my floor board on the driver side is soaked. WTF I had one of the good ones it didnt leak at all and now it does @#%* Monday morning back to the dealer.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

That really sucks that everyone has the same problem. You would think since it was such a widespread problem that there would be a recall and they would fix it, but apparently they are too greedy for that. Maybe a class action lawsuit would be the only thing to kick them into gear.

I tried taping where you talked about the silicone with my old header seal and had the same leak, but I didn't try the foam strips. I guess I'll wait until Tuesday when I get my new top and see what that does for me. Wish me luck!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good luck, keep a good record too!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkchr1s
So you're saying if I got a hard top it might help?
Nope. Same thing.

Quick Reply: How common is the door handle/dash drip?