Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How Do I Fix This Leak?

Old 07-23-2019, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Fix This Leak?

Every time it rains I end up with a wet driver side floor mat. I can see where it is coming in (see pic). How can I correct this?

Old 07-23-2019, 09:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Here's a link to the old leak diagnosis and repair document on my google drive if it helps -

(redacted link due to spam requests)

Last edited by resharp001; 07-28-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I *believe* that leak is coming from the header mucket as it is called in the leak repair manual. Our 2016 JKU leaks there sometimes, but not others.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

I checked through the manual and checked the header mucket last night. It is not rolled under and is in good condition.

Any other ideas?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BliZZard911
I checked through the manual and checked the header mucket last night. It is not rolled under and is in good condition.

Any other ideas?
Look at the rubber weatherstripping on the door. It has multiple pieces, and is supposed to channel the water from the top down a trough in the weatherstripping. I believe the thin piece against the body (not the door) can become warped or bent to the outside, and allow water behind it, into the Jeep. My '16 doesn't spend enough time in the rain for me to try different things yet. However, as it is now my daily driver, it will in Florida. Stand on a stool, and slowly close the door, watching how the rubber lines up. Check both sides to see if they align differently.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Okay I believe this spot is my problem. It rained today and it was soaked and clearly water making it down past on the I side of the seal. How do I repair this area or make it better?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Following, I've got an occasional drip coming in there too. There's a guy on YouTube who put some extra foam in there to divert the water over. I wouldn't be necessarily opposed to replacing that little piece of rubber either. Replacing the door seals killed a lot of small drips.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Start by cleaning it and the door seal very well. Use a rubber dressing on it to make sure it is smooth and protected. Then look at the door seal that hits this area. I believe the issue is with the door seal, not with the seal in your photo. Check and see, as the door closes, if the inner edge of the door seal touches this piece. If not, water can get behind it, and come down the door.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKForums
Start by cleaning it and the door seal very well. Use a rubber dressing on it to make sure it is smooth and protected. Then look at the door seal that hits this area. I believe the issue is with the door seal, not with the seal in your photo. Check and see, as the door closes, if the inner edge of the door seal touches this piece. If not, water can get behind it, and come down the door.
Ditto... clean rubber seals along the door, especially the bottom. The few times I had this leak I cleaned and also put a little silicone grease. Leak stopped immediately.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Here's a link to the old leak diagnosis and repair document on my google drive if it helps -

(redacted link due to spam requests)

Great guide, that will give me a starting point. On my 2015, water is dripping from the Dome Light. Go figure that one, looks like is dripping "Bulb Fluid" (sarcasm).

Last edited by resharp001; 07-28-2022 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: How Do I Fix This Leak?