Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much does a hard top and doors weigh?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does a hard top and doors weigh?

I ordered my Jeep 2 and a half months ago and it should finally arrive next week. I would like to get some hooks at Home Depot to hang my full steel doors in my carport and I was wondering how much the doors weigh. I would also like to rig a hoist for my hardtop and would like to know how much it weighs. Thanks and I'll post pics eventually.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure about the weights, but there are a few threads on homemade hoist ideas with lots of pics and instructions on this site. Also, there is one you can buy already made that works well for a similar price. I ordered mine and it's currently being shipped. The link to that is https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=hoist

I'm interested in hanging the doors as well, so let me know how it goes.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Deep Water Terp
I ordered my Jeep 2 and a half months ago and it should finally arrive next week. I would like to get some hooks at Home Depot to hang my full steel doors in my carport and I was wondering how much the doors weigh. I would also like to rig a hoist for my hardtop and would like to know how much it weighs. Thanks and I'll post pics eventually.
Well I have never taken weights, but I am guessing the top for the 4 door weighs in the neighborhood of 150 lbs. Two men can lift it off easily. I have rigged a simple hoist using 2 eyebolts in the ceiling and 2 double pulley setups (each pulley rated for about 200lbs) for each side and a 200lb rope and can with a little effort, lift the top off, tie it off, back the jeep out and then lower it down as well as raise it back up (much more effort).

I would guess doors are somewhere around 50-65 lbs ea., fronts a little more than rears. I can lift them off pretty easily.

Only real issues with these is they are awkward to handle and there are tricks that make the job of removing them easier, such as lowering the windows in doors and using either the window frame or inside door handle to help lift and lower.

Good luck and top and doors off is a wonderful feeling!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the coated 50 lb hooks for my doors.... got them at home depot... coating keeps from scratching the doors and 2 hooks per door ensures I dont overweight the hooks...

here are my doors till about november first... (I use soft doors for summer rains...)

I wear work gloves when I handle them as the bottom edge can hurt your hand from the weight if you are carrying them....

I white lithium greased the hinge pins every time I take the doors off.. this way they come off and go on easier

my hooks are hung at about the height I need the doors to be when putting them on so i never have to lift them up... im not a big guy and they are bulky...

you never want them to scrape the concrete or you will ruin the paint on the edges and they would rust prematurely...

definately put the windows down before you unplug them...

-Christopher
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-06-07 19.37.04..jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	72001  

Last edited by JeepaRoo; 06-09-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:10 AM
JK Super Freak

the top weighs about 120 lbs. The front doors weigh in around 70 lbs a piece and the rear doors weigh in around 45lbs a piece. Total weight for all is around 350lbs. If you take if off while wheeling, you gain about a half inch of clearance. Every bit helps.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
I bought the coated 50 lb hooks for my doors.... got them at home depot... coating keeps from scratching the doors and 2 hooks per door ensures I dont overweight the hooks...

here are my doors till about november first... (I use soft doors for summer rains...)

I wear work gloves when I handle them as the bottom edge can hurt your hand from the weight if you are carrying them....

I white lithium greased the hinge pins every time I take the doors off.. this way they come off and go on easier

my hooks are hung at about the height I need the doors to be when putting them on so i never have to lift them up... im not a big guy and they are bulky...

you never want them to scrape the concrete or you will ruin the paint on the edges and they would rust prematurely...

definately put the windows down before you unplug them...

-Christopher
Thanks! Your setup is pretty much what I had in mind. Looks great!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
the top weighs about 120 lbs. The front doors weigh in around 70 lbs a piece and the rear doors weigh in around 45lbs a piece. Total weight for all is around 350lbs. If you take if off while wheeling, you gain about a half inch of clearance. Every bit helps.
Really? I weighed my doors (on my 2-door) before, and I could be losing my memory but I thought I remember them weighing 47 pounds each. I never weighed my hard top (again, 2-door model), but I would guess that it's about 70-80 lbs.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by yomondo
Really? I weighed my doors (on my 2-door) before, and I could be losing my memory but I thought I remember them weighing 47 pounds each. ...
Power windows/locks versus non-power, perhaps? Regardless, two fifty pound brackets would be safe for mounting each door.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTEthe top weighs about 120 lbs. The front doors weigh in around 70 lbs a piece][/QUOTE]

Where'd you get those numbers?

Do your doors have electric windows and locks?

I've taken the top off mine many times and there is no way that top only weighs a buck twenty.

With the top off, doors off ,back seat out and spare tire off my Jeep actually feels kind of quick.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone hanging their doors in this manner noticed any damage to the weatherstripping around the window channel? I was gonna build a rack to hang my doors, but read in another thread that hanging them this way can dent/damage the rubber and that its a better idea to support them from the bottom of the door. Now I have started thinking about building a rack to stand my doors on instead of hanging them.

Quick Reply: How much does a hard top and doors weigh?