Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK Manual Transmission Automatic Throttle Control at 4 Lo Idle - No more stalling

Old 11-26-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'll be! 40 years of driving semis and I felt like a 16 year old driving mine the first day out.
Stalled it at least 5 times the first day. My buddy was razzing the S--- out of me.
Except on an upgrade, no throttle works great.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PennsWoods
I agree- took me months to get used to it. Drove manuals for 20 years prior!
Yeah, X2 here! It's the time lag with the electronic throttle that causes the JK to stall out easily until you learn to compensate it.

Usually, with a traditional cable or mechanical linkage throttle, your foot on the gas pedal moves down at the same time your foot on the clutch pedal is moving up once the clutch is at friction point; problem is that since the JK's throttle has a noticable lag you end up giving it gas too late and it stalls as you've over-engaged the clutch relative to the amount of gas the motor's getting. So all us JK drivers eventually learn to avoid moving the two pedals in unison and instead subconsiously hold off on the clutch for an extra half second while the motor catches up.

It's why I'll often release the clutch if on on flat ground (and not in a hurry to take off) without touching the gas pedal to get the Jeep rolling first as there doesn't seem to be much if any delay with the anti-stall programming.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I never new this! I tried in my 6sp JKU Rubi today and my brakes wouldn't even stop me. My tach went to just over 1k with the brakes on and the thing kept on moving, just even slower. Pretty cool!

Last edited by Spetz; 11-28-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:56 PM
JK Junkie

this works on my JK. you can actually do the same thing going downhill. if you keep your RPMs at idel speed then it will not pick up. it's very rear that it would with the 4:1. if it does on a steep decent, then all you have to do is apply light pressure on the brakes and it locks it back to that RPM and keeps you crawling down. very cool feature and i'm surprised that many don't know about.

I will be happy to test it with my 4 speed atlas in a few more weeks

Last edited by Lo2aY; 11-26-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: JK Manual Transmission Automatic Throttle Control at 4 Lo Idle - No more stalling