Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK tranny leaking at motor and overheating.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK tranny leaking at motor and overheating.

Like the title says, I just installed my Superchips flashpaq and started driving to get my daughter from dance class, and it starts smoking from under the hood. I lift the hood and its all redish liquid all over the engine. Well, then the motor starts running hot as well. I looked undernieth and I see red liquid dripping from between the bell housing and the motor. Anyone got any ideas before I bring it to the stealership...
Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Sure its not coolant. The factory coolant thats in my jk is actually red. Of course, I have only looked at it through the overflow container.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, I looked inside the radiator and it is low, but why the tranny leak?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is ATF (and it sounds like it is) you're lucky it didn't ignite. Did it overeat and come out the dipstick tube? Or is there a leak. Did you get the "HOT OIL" warning light and chime from the recent recall flash? (you do know the 08s were recalled, right?)

I would get it to the dealer but I don't think I would drive it.

(BTW coolant is orange)

Last edited by Jiblet; 05-25-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

The engine light did come on if thats what you mean,
Old 05-25-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Check for codes, and post.

1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.

2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has logged any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s).

3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Thanks I'll check it in the morning.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4whelin
The engine light did come on if thats what you mean,
if you had the J30 recall for 2008 auto transmissions then you (supposedly) get a chime and the words "HOT OIL" spelled out in your odometer if the trans reaches a certain temp.

What did you do with the flashpaq? re-map the shift points?

Quick Reply: JK tranny leaking at motor and overheating.