Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key Fob - Can I use one from my totaled Jeep on my new one?

Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob - Can I use one from my totaled Jeep on my new one?

I have 2 key fobs that came with my Jeep and one left over from my totaled Jeep. Is there anyway I can program the totaled Jeeps key fob to this Jeep?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure the dealer can reprogram them to work.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter53111
I'm sure the dealer can reprogram them to work.
I don't know if there any tricks to self program the jeep key fobs. I was just able to do it on my daughters Mitsubishi. For that car I had to ground pin 1 on the obd port then push the hazard button 6 times then push the lock button on the remote 3 times. It worked!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can program the new key fob. All you need is the 2 keys from the new jeep. There is a thread on here that lists how to do it. You can also get a hollow key fob with a blank key on eBay. Then all you have to do is get the key cut and transfer the guts from your old key into the new one.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...re-key-119610/.

Update to add link above.

Last edited by Scrambled; 12-29-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not so sure that you can re-code a transponder key from one JK to work on another JK.

I know you can code a new (cut blank) to match your JK but I have not heard of anyone taking a transponder key that has been previously coded to a JK and changing the code to match a different JK.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying I've never read a post of it being done. Anyone know for sure?

Also I am not sure if the Scooby is asking about re-coding the old JK key just to have a matching transponder or if by mentioning the fobs, he want to use the buttons (un/lock, panic, maybe remote start) on the fob. I don't know how or if those can be matched to a new JK but I suspect it would involve the STARscan at the dealer.

They keys have two aspects to them. 1) the SENTRY key transponder, and 2) for power group option JKs, the programmed electronics for door locks, alarm, etc.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I'm not so sure that you can re-code a transponder key from one JK to work on another JK....
Thinking about it some more... I think you cannot use the key from the totaled jeep because to code the transponder you have to put the key in the ignition. Your old key is cut for a different ignition.

If you wanted to get a blank transponder key with an empty electronics-shell and transfer the electronics from the old-JK's key into a new fob (and have it cut to match the new JK) you can code the blank's transponder but, I think you still have the issue of matching the electronics to the new jeep.

Quick Reply: Key Fob - Can I use one from my totaled Jeep on my new one?