Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

leaking hard top

Old 09-29-2008, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No kidding! What engineer designed the gutter on these hardtops? First day I had my JK it rained cats and dogs. Sure enough, everytime I opened the door, water gushed into the cabin. My 1 year old with a crayon could've made a better blueprint
Old 09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

ya they blow. same leak man. thanks a lot for the input
Old 09-30-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer is ordering new gaskets for header and I don't know what else but I assume everything on the sides as well since the mechanic said "a bunch of them".

I am taking photographs after each attempt and recording appointments and times. If this is not repaired within a reasonable amount of time, I expect to be doing battle with Chrysler. But for now, I give them the benefit of the doubt to be able to fix the engineering screw up.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Have been lurking here for quite a while
I have had a good look at this yesterday as I had very wet front carpets the other day. took out the carpets and tried plenty of water. A slight leak when the doors were closed. Water curls under the door seal as it drains at the spot in the picture above from the gutter. The real disaster is if I open the door with some water still coming from the gutter. water is redirected into the cabin from the rubber seal halfway down the the front of the door frame. Does anyone have the same problem/ any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

have these leaking probems gotten any better with the 08s, possibly 09s? this could be a major deal breaker for me, as i will be parking my jk (when i get one) outside all the time. my tj leaked pretty bad, so during the winter i had to pull the carpets and deal with it. but that was a $9000 used jeep. i'll be crazy pissed off if i spend double that or more on a new one and it does the same thing.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is a 2008 built in June so I would expect the 09 to be pretty much the same.

In answer to the gutter question, all of them dump water from the roof panels into the cabin when it rains, if you open the door.

Otherwise, that curling water under the seal you mentioned in my picture that yours displays will fill your foot well in a good overnight rain. But what the heck, it's a Jeep, right? Kind of like saying you expect an airplane to crash because it flies.

I have owned CJ5, 7, 94 Wrangler and now this. I love Jeeps but this is not how it should be. Between the wife and I we have owned at least six and this is the first time I have been really upset over build quality.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fixed....I hope

It appears the leak is gone except for an almost negligible one on the drivers side, new gasket ordered for that. The dealer, at least so far, has done a good job so they deserve credit.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Leaking Hard Top

My '08 JK 2Dr is gathering water I'm presuming between both Freedom Top Panels. After any wet weather when I drive the JK - I come to a stop a little quicker than let's say "normal" I get several water drops right above the rear view mirror on the windshield and they drop dead center on the front dash.
I had the local dealer verify the leaks and I discussed the TSA's with them. They are ordering new seals for the Freedom Panels - I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Last edited by KSU_MAN_JK33; 10-29-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

How long have you had the truck?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
How long have you had the truck?

If you are asking how long I've had the JK - I purchased it this summer.
Didn't discover this issue as I had the Soft Top on up until a few wekes ago - trying to winterize it ;o)

Quick Reply: leaking hard top