Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

leaking hard top

Old 10-29-2008, 04:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the dealer fixes it. Take the top back off and put it back on again and re-check the leak. I've seen some dealers that fixed the problem by using silicone. When you put on your freedom tops. There's a real simple check to see if you need new tops. Clamp the front down at the windshield. Pay close attention to the middle where the windshield and the tops meet. When you latch the bar between the two front pieces together watch that seem. If you see one of your tops lift up you have found the problem. What was discovered is that improper storage of the hard top sections can result in warping. This is why Mopar gave all of us that had problems the freedom top bag free of charge. What they didn't want us to know is that it wasn't us who stored them improperly. It was them at some point pre-pruduction. My top leaked from day one. We tried at the dealership to fix it. All new gaskets and such. Still leaked. Then we looked and noticed it lifted when latched. Went out on the lot. Grabbed another new Jeep. Checked it for leaks. No leakes. So... we swapped hard tops(freedom panels only) The leak transfered to the new Jeep. And mine was fixed. I left with the new panels and the dealership had to leave thier new Jeep in the service bay till the middle of the next week waiting for a new hard top.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the header seal replaced 4 times. It still leaked.
I had the Freedom top seals replaced 2 times. It still leaked.
I had my two front freedom panels replaced. It still leaked.
I had the entire top replaced. It still leaked.

Glad yours got fixed but it was pure chance.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm sorry your still having trouble. My dealer out here since last fall when we had trouble with mine has had to replace a dozen or so tops. All succesful. I did hear that one of them had a problem with the windshield itself though.

Good luck.

P.S. Out here 5 trips to the dealership for the same problem = a shinny new truck. Don't know where your from but, I would check your lemon law.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
After the dealer fixes it. Take the top back off and put it back on again and re-check the leak. I've seen some dealers that fixed the problem by using silicone. When you put on your freedom tops. There's a real simple check to see if you need new tops. Clamp the front down at the windshield. Pay close attention to the middle where the windshield and the tops meet. When you latch the bar between the two front pieces together watch that seem. If you see one of your tops lift up you have found the problem. What was discovered is that improper storage of the hard top sections can result in warping. This is why Mopar gave all of us that had problems the freedom top bag free of charge. What they didn't want us to know is that it wasn't us who stored them improperly. It was them at some point pre-pruduction. My top leaked from day one. We tried at the dealership to fix it. All new gaskets and such. Still leaked. Then we looked and noticed it lifted when latched. Went out on the lot. Grabbed another new Jeep. Checked it for leaks. No leakes. So... we swapped hard tops(freedom panels only) The leak transfered to the new Jeep. And mine was fixed. I left with the new panels and the dealership had to leave thier new Jeep in the service bay till the middle of the next week waiting for a new hard top.
I appreciate the adivce - I will definately be verifying whether or not this resolved the issue and won't give up until it is...it's to bad we have to go through this...dang t-tops on a Jeep - what up wit dat
Old 10-29-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I am hoping that AEV puts thier expedition top into production.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have 2 friends with jk's that had leaky tops right out of the dealership! sounds screwy to me!

Quick Reply: leaking hard top