Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lifetime warranty owners ... Don't let your warranty lapse!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had my inspection and am happy to say the inspection revealed worn upper and lower ball joints and u joints. All repaired under warranty, $100 deductible and a free rental car. I also had them flush the cooling system which I paid for (had a coupon special @$79.00) All this at 51k mi. All stock...non-lifted. They wanted to install the updated steering stabilizer @$250. Mine was new under warranty 6 months ago and they said I needed rear rotors. I said thank you but not now. The rotor estimate was a few hundred $$$. I'll do it myself when really needed.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the date of my next inspection written in my visor so I don't forget.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhaines
I just got the transmission replaced through the lifetime pt warranty @119k miles. Asked them to do the inspection while they had it and everything passed. Pretty happy that I had it, the cost in them doing the trans was $4116.00!
What was the Transmission problem that caused them to replace it?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobtTxRubi
What was the Transmission problem that caused them to replace it?
6spd was whining 1st-4th and not shifting correctly. Found a couple of bearings had gone bad. They tried to rebuild it, but the outcome wasn't good enough and the dealer requested a replacement instead.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just had my 5 yr inspection. They flushed and filled the coolant, at my cost, and changed the front driveshaft because I knew the boot had torn w/grease flying everywhere. They also changed an oil seal, because they said it was leaking. No word about the ball joints even though I have 117K miles. I'll have to ask my regular service manager on Monday. See what happens in five years.

Does anyone know what should be covered by the "drivetrain" warrantee?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RobtTxRubi
Just had my 5 yr inspection. They flushed and filled the coolant, at my cost, and changed the front driveshaft because I knew the boot had torn w/grease flying everywhere. They also changed an oil seal, because they said it was leaking. No word about the ball joints even though I have 117K miles. I'll have to ask my regular service manager on Monday. See what happens in five years. Does anyone know what should be covered by the "drivetrain" warrantee?
On jeep.com, under Owners, you can get a PDF of your warranty. The lifetime power train coverage is spelled out in the document.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
The lifetime power train warranty only applies to certain vehicles purchased between certain dates. Late 07s through early 09s. Someone will post the real dates of the program, I hope!

This wasn't a plan anyone purchased, it was a program give away by Chrysler.

EDIT. See link in post below for FAQ and program dates.
Yeah, ya gotta get in there and fight a bit. Hopefully the OP asked them to show them in writing. Have found that some of these service managers/reps will tell us stuff knowing that we won't ask for that in writing.

We have the lifetime powertrain warranty that was part of Chrysler's incentive to buy those model yrs.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sometimes I wonder since Chrysler denies so many warranty claims if I should have taken my money and just built a brand new CJ. Probably would have an easier time filling warranty claims per piece. LOL
Old 01-27-2014, 01:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am not a big believer in warranties and never had much luck with them...on the other hand, I must get a letter in the mail a few times a month trying to sell me an aftermarket warranty on some vehicle I might have once owned or driven.

So, take any warranty with a grain of salt.

Howard
Old 01-27-2014, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WINGIT
Sometimes I wonder since Chrysler denies so many warranty claims if I should have taken my money and just built a brand new CJ. Probably would have an easier time filling warranty claims per piece. LOL
Trouble is we really don't know if Chrysler does deny very many warranty claims. They might have a very good record. Or maybe it really is horrible. Don't judge by what you read on forums. These tend to be magnets for complaints (in addition to all the good info provided).

If you go by forums you'd think every 3.8 consumes oil by the gallon and every 3.6 has a bad head and coolant sludging.

I've had a few things fixed under warranty but I didn't start a thread about them. Chrysler even reimbursed me for the cost of my auxiliary transmission cooler that I installed before the J30 recall.

Are there some independent statistics on claims vs denials somewhere? (I honestly don't know)

Quick Reply: Lifetime warranty owners ... Don't let your warranty lapse!