Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Locked out!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of Hardware stores carry them, Even Home Depot.
I know that I have locked my doors by accident a few times, but I just unzip my window and........ oh yeah I have soft top and 1/2 doors
Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember someone having stopped in Starbucks to grab a cup of coffee and being locked out by the time he returned to his Jeep. Do a search, you should be able to find it.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aolec
I remember someone having stopped in Starbucks to grab a cup of coffee and being locked out by the time he returned to his Jeep. Do a search, you should be able to find it.

yeah... dunno why, but i have a vague memory of sitting in my jeep while it was running waiting on someone and it suddenly locked the doors even tho i wasn't moving and still in park. maybe there is a timer?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it's an engineering design fault. Or a manufacturing defect. Or, or, or a conspiracy. Yeah, that's it - a conspiracy!

I think we should demand a recall. Or at least a TSB. Or maybe a CIA investigation. Wait, I hear the black helicopters above my house. Gotta go!

Sorry! Too much coffee this morning!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 05 Dodge 4x4 QC 3/4 Truck did the same thing. One month old. Driving back from Omaha to Kansas City. I was getting tired and had to get out and stretch. Pulled off on a highway ramp. Left the truck running and closed the door. I rememeber hitting the door unlock to open the doors. When I shut the door I watched in horror as the truck self locked while still running. I'm on the outside and I am in the middle of nothing but corn fields. Cell phone inside the truck and no one around for miles
After a few choice words, about Chrylser and their engineers, I finally resign myself to having to break out a window. But wait! there are no rocks bigger than a pebble. This is Kansas/Nebraska border. So, there are no tree branches either.
There in the muddy creek bed is a metal fence post I might be able to pull out and use. Slacks, dress shoes and all I step into the mud and remove the post. I break out the rear passanger window from my 1 month old truck, (#$ that hurts). I then go back to the muddy creek and replace the post while re-attaching the wire fence. From then on, I carried a spare key in my wallet.
Now how do I carry a spare key with the hulking key the Jeep has as part of it's anti theft system, (Yet another electrical VALUE that I did not want)
Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by whatroads
My 05 Dodge 4x4 QC 3/4 Truck did the same thing. One month old. Driving back from Omaha to Kansas City. I was getting tired and had to get out and stretch. Pulled off on a highway ramp. Left the truck running and closed the door. I rememeber hitting the door unlock to open the doors. When I shut the door I watched in horror as the truck self locked while still running. I'm on the outside and I am in the middle of nothing but corn fields. Cell phone inside the truck and no one around for miles
After a few choice words, about Chrylser and their engineers, I finally resign myself to having to break out a window. But wait! there are no rocks bigger than a pebble. This is Kansas/Nebraska border. So, there are no tree branches either.
There in the muddy creek bed is a metal fence post I might be able to pull out and use. Slacks, dress shoes and all I step into the mud and remove the post. I break out the rear passanger window from my 1 month old truck, (#$ that hurts). I then go back to the muddy creek and replace the post while re-attaching the wire fence. From then on, I carried a spare key in my wallet.
Now how do I carry a spare key with the hulking key the Jeep has as part of it's anti theft system, (Yet another electrical VALUE that I did not want)

If you lock the key in the jeep, all you need is something to unlock the door. So, that "credit card" thing everybody was talking about should do you fine. My Silverado had one. It was nothing more than a soft vinyl pack the size of a credit card with the VIN on it. Inside the pack was a regular key (like a house key) that slid right out.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i had a mitsubishi that did this. it took me 2 years and tons of lockouts to figure out that is wasn't me.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
i had a mitsubishi that did this. it took me 2 years and tons of lockouts to figure out that is wasn't me.
My explorer did it too. I became really familiar with coat hangers... and how to bend them just right to use it as a slim jim...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Magnetic key holder for frame

Another option:

Some auto parts stores sell these magnetic key holders that stick to your frame rails. I used one when I had my Tundra last summer...I went down to the beach a lot and didn't want to leave my keys with my shoes, towel, etc. Also, I didn't want to take it in the water where it might have fallen out and been feasted upon by a manatee, a rogue clam, and/or a freakin' puffer fish.

The frame mount key holder is hella legit. Just tuck it up on top of one of your frame rails. The magnet is crazy strong and even the most ruthless terrain shouldn't shake it loose. Hope this helps.

Russ D.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

rotflol!

I know what happened, your butt his the handle lock, it is easy to do. You'll never hear a thing because it's mechanical.

So watch yourself, you can brush against it, the door can try to close on an incline and hit your body, then you go and close the door and VOILA! You're locked out faster than an angry wife can do it.

Quick Reply: Locked out!