Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mopar Transmission Cooler Kit

Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
No need for it with the manual transmission. (no oil pump; no plumbing, manual fluid doesn't overheat.)

That looks like a very nice kit, though. Comes with custom plumbing, so there is no cutting of the lines.

Suggested retail is $289; quite a bit more than an aftermarket cooler. But if someone wanted a cooler designed for the application, this is a good kit.

I called a couple dealers. One wouldn't work with the price at all, the other (one I always deal with) offered it for 15% off.
Dealer estimate for installation was about $125 to $150.

The good thing is, it gets registered as an authorized part/installation, and there is no question that it does not jeopardize the lifetime powertrain warranty, for those who have that.

p.s.
Thanks for posting the part number for the kit.
Yikes on the price of the kit... $289 + $150 for dealer install, no thanks. I completed this mod myself for (guesstimate here) about $150 thanks to a write up direction in Jp Magazine.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

My dealership's shop quoted me a much higher price for install, dang it... But considering I live on the road 100% and lack a garage/tools, gonna go through with it any how. I don't wanna risk complications and delays with doing it myself or with a buddy, I'm always at least 300 mi away from family or friends that would give me rides to work so my JK can't be down at all. Install scheduled on 4/6/12. I'll try to post up pics afterwards. can't wait to settle down and have a garage (and a second car for that matter! Lol)!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Wads13
Yikes on the price of the kit... $289 + $150 for dealer install, no thanks. I completed this mod myself for (guesstimate here) about $150 thanks to a write up direction in Jp Magazine.
That's great you could do that. Some people would consider $150 way to high with kits available for $50.

Anyway, some people can't do it themselves, and/or want a factory type install, with no cutting of lines.

I went the MOPAR route because it's a great fit, with plug-n-play connectors. (installed it at home)
As far as expense, well, I figure I don't spend money on cigarettes and alcohol, so I'm still way ahead of the game.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenrir
My dealership's shop quoted me a much higher price for install, dang it... But considering I live on the road 100% and lack a garage/tools, gonna go through with it any how. I don't wanna risk complications and delays with doing it myself or with a buddy, I'm always at least 300 mi away from family or friends that would give me rides to work so my JK can't be down at all. Install scheduled on 4/6/12. I'll try to post up pics afterwards. can't wait to settle down and have a garage (and a second car for that matter! Lol)!
Consider the following:

When you pick it up, (before you drive it), look at the connectors on each end of the cooler, and the two in the
driver's side wheel well. Look at the lines where they connect to the transmission, too, if they replaced the regular lines.
There should be no gap between the round plastic retainer, and the hexagonal metal fitting.
A gap there may allow the line to come unplugged. This has happened in the past. The owner's Jeep burned to the ground before he got home after having the lines replaced at the dealer.
After you drive for a short distance, stop and look for leakage at all the connections.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-29-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Anyone installed this with the new Tuffy hood lock? I'm going to get one of the locks on before getting one of these kits.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Consider the following:

When you pick it up, (before you drive it), look at the connectors on each end of the cooler, and the two in the
driver's side wheel well. Look at the lines where they connect to the transmission, too, if they replaced the regular lines.
There should be no gap between the round plastic retainer, and the hexagonal metal fitting.
A gap there may allow the line to come unplugged. This has happened in the past. The owner's Jeep burned to the ground before he got home after having the lines replaced at the dealer.
After you drive for a short distance, stop and look for leakage at all the connections.
Good to know!

Also, I have a tuffy hood lock that I've held off on installing until this cooler gets installed. I'll update that as well.

I also have a B&M supercooler if anyone wants to buy it. I was gonna go that route, but decided against it.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed
Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine showed up today at my door

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	298948
Old 04-03-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: just dropped mine off at dealership. Picking it up tmrw. I can post pics if anyone is interested.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
...I can post pics if anyone is interested.
Can never see too many pics.

Quick Reply: Mopar Transmission Cooler Kit