Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some advice!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice!

I have a couple of on going issues with my 2015 Sahara. First one is the coolant smell. I know there is a huge history and many opinions on this issue. I’ve been thru two garages with this issue because the 1st f—kheads are a bunch of incompetent bass-turds!! I’m on my 2nd rad not including the factory one. A thermostat housing, 3 rad caps, an oil cooler, a water pump, and a timing chain cover. All under warranty to chase a visible leak from the rad to the timing chain cover to the water pump and thermostat housing that was weeping. All those leaks the 1st garage couldn’t find. I ended up finding al the leaks on my creeper. Wtf! Finally the 2nd competent garage fixed everything . Well....so u thought. The oat smell is back again and my overflow bottle is just about dry. So here I go again. It’s an on going issue. Why so many of these are failing is beyond me? What else can it be? The hoses are all good. I’ve been told it’s been pressure tested and passed about 3x. Coolant should NOT evaporate at this rate. It’s been about 4 months since the repairs. Yep the smell went away about 50% less. I have guys at work telling me I have a leak. I tell them that’s what u get when u buy a Jeep. The anti freeze air freshener..
the other issue is the annoying rear break caliber rattle. The brakes are brand new. I’ve had them apart 2x since new lubing the pins and all the other spots that need lube including cleaning the area. I tighten everything up and still the calipers have movement the same direction as the piston moves. Another shitty design and or cheap garbage parts. I’m thinking of just going with a high quality Caliper. What would cause the calipers to rattle after the 1st brake change? Any input is appreciated.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I know there was an issue with the heater cores and that was causing coolant issues. there might be a service bulletin on that.

A quick google search revealed there are issues with the heater cores in the 2015 JK.

R/
Will
Old 08-14-2018, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb Coolant Leaks...

There's UV dye that can be added to the coolant to help pinpoint the leak, there are kits with dye and a black light.

Hose clamps can be a problem, especially the old style worm-gear clamps. Best clamps are actually the OEM spring-tension type which have constant pressure and self adjust with temperature change. Hoses can get pin-holes, often near clamps (especially over tightened worm clamps). These are the easy fixes...

Sometimes Bars Leak Tablets are a decent solution, even OEM's use it sometimes. Over the years they've worked for me a few times on tiny leaks that can't be found or fixed easily. Suggest draining about a quart from the radiator, and pre-dissolving or crushing with a mortar/passel before adding to the radiator.

Last edited by Mr.T; 08-14-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I pressure tested my factory radiator several times, each time passing, prior to it finally giving up it's dirty little secret. I was getting tired of the disappearing reservoir level myself. We have to have one of the worst cooling systems on the road IMO between the radiator, heater core, and dang thermostat housing.

Since you most likely have carpet in the jeep, it would probably be soaking up any small heater core leak. It would need to be a pretty decent leak to saturate your floorboard carpet. You might stuff some paper towels down under the dash (below the heater core) to see if it catches and drips of coolant. Hopefully not, but at least you'd be able to tell a bit easier based on saturation/color on the towels, and narrow it down to internal or external issue.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

The smell isn’t inside the Jeep itself. I’ve had a couple of older vehicles way back where the heater core leaked and it would smell pretty bad. I’ll still check it out. I have an extended warranty so I’ll be callling back the dealership about the issues. I’ve changed just about everything. You can put your nose right around the radiator and u can smell the OAT. I have 2016 scatpack Shaker challenger 392 that uses the OAT, and I can’t smell anything. Nothing! The level has dropped about a 1/4-1/2 inch in the overflow bottle over 2yrs. To me that’s normal. I only have 15000km o 9000 miles on it. Those are gentle miles. No I don’t beat on it. There have been issues with the star pumps on those too. Anyway, hopefully I can get it resolved. Sad because I’ve been reading the newer jeeps are having the same issues. My overflow bottle is empty in a matter of 4-5 months. That’s not evaporation
Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Since it only takes a couple minutes, you might pop the hood, pop off the few plastic rivet pins holding the cover over the radiator, and take a quick look where the fins meet the sides. That is the common point for leaking. Even small pinhole leak will start to show discoloration there. My '13 made it 65k miles or so before really showing signs, but I had been watching for it at least 10k+ miles. I know several around my area with 14's and '15s that the rads gave up quickly, 10-20k miles. I can't recall any of them having the rads replaced and then having issues again. Almost like there was a really bad batch from the factory during that time frame. Bit surprising that you've already replaced so much and still having a problem.

I absolutely hate going to dealers. They're never quite interested in troubleshooting to the same extent I am. I think I'd be apt to buy a dye kit as Mr.T mentions above, and try to pinpoint the location myself, THEN take it to them for repair under warranty. I just don't like wasting my time and can see going in and them no locating the issue. It's different being able to say you spot a leak vs. just catching a whiff of coolant now and then.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Since it only takes a couple minutes, you might pop the hood, pop off the few plastic rivet pins holding the cover over the radiator, and take a quick look where the fins meet the sides. That is the common point for leaking. Even small pinhole leak will start to show discoloration there. My '13 made it 65k miles or so before really showing signs, but I had been watching for it at least 10k+ miles. I know several around my area with 14's and '15s that the rads gave up quickly, 10-20k miles. I can't recall any of them having the rads replaced and then having issues again. Almost like there was a really bad batch from the factory during that time frame. Bit surprising that you've already replaced so much and still having a problem.

I absolutely hate going to dealers. They're never quite interested in troubleshooting to the same extent I am. I think I'd be apt to buy a dye kit as Mr.T mentions above, and try to pinpoint the location myself, THEN take it to them for repair under warranty. I just don't like wasting my time and can see going in and them no locating the issue. It's different being able to say you spot a leak vs. just catching a whiff of coolant now and then.
I have an appt. for Sept.11th because I need a loaner. Had to wait a bit longer. Maybe I’ll head to the dealer and pick up some of the dye. I’m wondering if this is the same dye used into the engine? I assume the dye for this application goes into the Rad? Same stuff??
It will give me time to look around considering I like to troubleshoot myself. The garage I’m taking it to the mechanics are decent. If it was just a whiff here and there without the loss of coolant I wouldn’t worry much. The overflow bottle is empty....dry! That ain’t right. This whole issue just pi$$es me off considering the low mileage I have. I’ll try popping the fasteners and check the rad.....again! Thx!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:23 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

https://www.amazon.com/FJC-4926-Universal-Radiator-Coolant/dp/B0049MEDJ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534399928&sr=8-2&keywords=coolant+dye+leak+kit, and a link for a UV flashlight comes up on the same page.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mr.T
The dye is under $7 on Amazon, and a link for a UV flashlight comes up on the same page.
Standard troubleshooting equipment for our JKs I think I'm going to pick some up myself just because!

Quick Reply: Need some advice!