Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Leak

Old 03-06-2021, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oddest thing, was making up a few new connectors. Driver side ignition coils have 18 gauge wires to the harness and the passenger have 16 gauge (I was wrong - measured with a caliper, it is 16 but thinner sheathing). Looked at the connector diagrams and all state 16.

Another thing I learned is if you need replacement connectors look them up here http://connectors.dcctools.com/ and is seem the image filename is the manufacturer part number. For example the ignition coil is 1-1924067-1.gif.

https://www.newark.com/amp-te-connec...d&exaMfpn=true

They are a $1.50 USD each and the pins and seals are about another $1.00. MOPAR is $50.00.

Last edited by hydronaut; 03-06-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Wonder if cold weather can be a factor? You are in Newmarket and I’m just a bit south of you.

I have 220,000 km on my 2013 JKU and the filter housing started leaking. We also had the really cold snap. I could smell burning oil, put it on the hoist and had oil exactly where you had it.

We replaced the housing and the seals. Only other thing I should look into is the extended warranty on the passenger side heads.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Niteshooter
Wonder if cold weather can be a factor? You are in Newmarket and I’m just a bit south of you.

I have 220,000 km on my 2013 JKU and the filter housing started leaking. We also had the really cold snap. I could smell burning oil, put it on the hoist and had oil exactly where you had it.

We replaced the housing and the seals. Only other thing I should look into is the extended warranty on the passenger side heads.
I was thinking the same thing but there were much colder days last year. My hosing looks good but seals were shot so taking my chances as costs me nothing but my time. Just waiting for some new plugs to come (cheaper to order from rock auto as champions were about $6 bucks cad a piece and 12 to ship which still makes it cheaper than here) before I put all back together.

it’s like these things had a self destruct in them to all go at the same time. Where did you manage to find a housing from? No way was I going to pay inflated dealer price.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I think part was was around $260. A buddy owns a shop in Markham and did the install. I have 230,000 on mine so figure it was due. We took off a lot of parts to get to it so considering the shop labour it made sense to do everything. Plus mine had a crack in the tube. These are common for failure. Also corrosion from that brine crap we put on our roads.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak